New York City (1878)
2 manuals, 33 stops, 31 ranks
The builder of the original ca.1872 organ for Lee Avenue Baptist Church is unknown, but the organ was rebuilt in 1878 by Levi Stuart, following a fire. On May 30, 1878, The Brooklyn Eagle described the opening of the rebuilt organ:
"Unvailing" An Organ
The Ceremony Performed in the Lee Avenue Baptist Church—A Grand Concert.
In connection with the "unvailing" [sic] of the organ of the Lee avenue Baptist Church, Rev. J. Hyatt Smith, pastor, a concert and literary entertainment was given last evening. The organ, which was but imperfectly repaired after the damage sustained by the fire in the church over a year ago, has recently been remodeled so as virtually to make it a new instrument. Work on it was only completed a few days ago. The gathering present last evening at the "unvailing" was a large one. All eyes were directed toward the screen which hid the instrument from view, when at a given signal, the curtain was run up and the organ pealed forth an overture, "Fra Diavolo" under the skillful manipulation of Mr. John M. Loretz, Jr. When the first tones burst upon the audience the applause was great. Further on in the programme other selections were given. They were most liberally encored.
After the organ solo Miss Lettie Blume read a selection and was encored. Mrs. Eugene J. Grant (Surrogate Dailey's daughter) next rendered a solo, "She Wandered Down the Mountain Side," and another selection on the encore. Mr. W.H. Chapman sang "Warrior Bold" with fine effect; Miss Florence Rice Knox sang "The Lost Chord," and Mr. Loretz performed "La Fille du Regiment" on the organ. Mrs. Knox and Mr. C. H. Humphries rendered a duet, "Trovatore."
The second part opened with an organ solo, "Nocturne," succeeded by readings, "The Noble Revenge" and "Daisy's Faith," by Miss Lettie Blume; a song, "Sweetheart," by Mr. Humphries; a baritone solo, "When Love is Kind," by Mr. Theron Baldwin; a song, "The Shepherdess and Kinght," by Mrs. Knox; an organ solo, "North Star," [by] Mr. Loretz, and a reading, "The Eleventh Hour," by Miss Lettie Blume. The entertainment closed with a selection, "Good Night," from "Martha," by a quartet comprising Mrs. Grant, Mrs. Knox, Mr. Humphries and Mr. Baldwin.
The organ, which is considered one of the finest in this city, was built by Mr. Stuart of New York, on a plan drawn by the organist of the church, Mr. Juan Alzamore.