Bronx Spanish Evangelical Church - La Iglesia Evangelica Española Del Bronx - Bronx, NY
 
Click on image to enlarge
Bronx Spanish Evangelical Church
La Iglesia Evangelica Española Del Bronx
(Congregational)

800 East 156th Street
Bronx, N.Y. 10455
http://www.ieeb.org/






The Bronx Spanish Evangelical Church was organized in 1941 by the New York City Mission Society with Rev. Augustine Alivra appointed as its first pastor. For the first several years the congregation met in houses. In 1946, the Mission Society purchased the present property on East 156th Street near Union Avenue that was the former St. Paul Lutheran Church. The congregation received the deed to its property in 1952, after raising half of the $37,500 cost of the site. A first-floor gymnasium that would also serve as a recreational and social center was added in 1955 at a cost of $118,000. In 1957, the church became a Congregational church.
           
M.P. Möller, Inc.
Hagerstown, Md. – Opus 8441 (1952)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 19 stops, 3 ranks


Correspondence dated September 17, 1952, from M.P. Möller to Rev. Augustine Alvira, Pastor, proposes that the church purchase a new Möller Artiste organ at a price of $3,975 with delivery promised for approximately six to ten weeks from the date an order was received, or they could purchase a similar and nearly new organ that had been used for approximately two months in the Parish Hall of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, Newark, at a price of $3,875, that would be available on or about October 15. It is not certain if the church purchased either organ as Möller Inter-office Correspondence (Jan. 22, 1952) concerns the delivery of Op. 8441 – the opus assigned to Bronx Spanish Evangelical Church – to Carnegie Hall on Thursday, January 24.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Diapason Conique *  
4
  Octave Conique  
8
  Lieblich Gedeckt  
2 2/3
  Quint (Salicional)  
8
  Salicional *  
2
  Super Octave (Salicional)  

     

     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Salicional  
4
  Lieblich Flute  
8
  Lieblich Gedeckt  
2 2/3
  Nazard  
8
  Quintadena [L. Ged. + Naz.]
2
  Piccolo  
4
  Salicet  
8
  Oboe [L. Ged. + Fl. + Naz.]
               
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Bourdon  
4
  Flute  
8
  Rohr Flute  
2
  Super Octave  
4
  Octave Conique          
           
* 1-12 from Lieblich Gedeckt
Coupler
    Swell to Great          
               
Mechanicals
    Balanced Expression Pedal   Tremolo  
    Balanced Crescendo Pedal with indicator light      
               
Stop Analysis
     
Pipes
8
  Diapason Conique [TC]
61
16
  Lieblich Gedeckt
73
8
  Salicional
    61
   
Total
195
           
Sources:
     "Addition to Church Dedicated in Bronx," The New York Times, April 18, 1955.
     Boston Organ Club. M.P. Möller, Inc. Opus List. Courtesy Larry Trupiano.
     Bronx Spanish Evangelical Church web site: http://www.ieeb.org/
     "Change in Denomination. Bronx Spanish Church Today Becomes Congregational," The New York Times, February 11, 1957.
     "Church Deed Presented," The New York Times, May 24, 1952.
     Haberstroh, Richard. The German Churches of Metropolitan New York: A Research Guide. New York: The New York Genealogical & Biographical Society, 2000.
     Trupiano, Larry. Correspondence (Sept. 17, 1952) for M.P. Möller Organ, Op. 8441 (1952).

Illustrations:
      www.panoramio.com. Exterior.