The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Epiphany - Bronx, NY
  Click on images to enlarge
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Epiphany

302 East 206th Street
Bronx, NY. 10467
web site


Organ Specifications:
302 East 206th Street (since 1928)
II/10 A. Gottfried & Co. (1929)
70-74 East 128th Street near Fourth Avenue (1900-1927)
• unknown

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Epiphany was organized around 1900 to serve German Lutherans living in the East Harlem area of Manhattan. The society's first church was built in 1900 on East 128th Street near Fourth (now Park) Avenue. In 1927, the congregation merged with the Church of the Ascenion, located 3119 Webster Avenue in The Bronx, after which services were held for some time in a hall at 3092 Hull Avenue. On June 17, 1928, the cornerstone was laid for the present Gothic-style building of stone.
             
A. Gottfried & Co.
Erie, Penn. (1929)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 11 stops, 10 ranks


The organ in the Church of the Epiphany was built by A. Gottfried & Co. of Erie, Penn. A plaque on the console states the organ was dedicated in 1929, but an opus number has not been found. All of the pipes are enclosed in one chamber on the right side of the chancel, although there are identical façades of non-speaking pipes on either side. The setterboards for the combinations are in two drawers beneath the Great manual. At some point, electronic carillonic bells were added, playable from a 25-note keyboard attached to the console. This organ was playable in 2010 and has received a partial cleaning and limited repairs by John Klauder Pipe Organ Service of Brooklyn.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
 
  A. Gottfried & Co. organ (1929) in The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Epiphany - Bronx, NY (photo: John Klauder)
   
  A. Gottfried & Co. organ (1929) in The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Epiphany - Bronx, NY (photo: John Klauder)
  Console and left façade
  A. Gottfried & Co. organ (1929) in The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Epiphany - Bronx, NY (photo: John Klauder)
  Right façade
8
  Open Diapason
73
   
8
  Dulciana
73
   
8
  Melodia
73
   
4
  Flute d'Amour
73
   
 
     
 
 
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
 
8
  Violin Diapason
73
   
8
  Stopped Diapason
73
   
8
  Salicional
73
   
4
  Flute Harmonic
73
   
8
  Oboe [stamped 14400]
73
   
    Tremolo      
           
Pedal Organ – 32 notes, enclosed
 
16
 
Subbass
preparation
   
16
  Bourdon
44
   
8
  Gedeckt [ext.]
   
           
Couplers
 
    Swell to Pedal 8'  
    Great to Pedal 8'  
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'  
    Great 16', Unison Off, 4'  
    Swell 16', Unison Off, 4'  
           
Adjustable Combinations (by setterboards)
 
    Pistons No. 1-2-3 affecting Great stops  
    Pistons No. 1-2-3 affecting Swell stops  
           
Pedal Movements
 
    Balanced Swell Pedal    
    Balanced Crescendo Pedal    
    Sforzando Reversible (toe)    
    Great to Pedal Reversible (toe)    
               
Sources:
     Fox, David H. A Guide to North American Organbuilders (Rev. ed.). Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 1997.
     Haberstroh, Richard. The German Churches of Metropolitan New York: A Research Guide. New York: The New York Genealogical & Biographical Society, 2000.
     Klauder, John. Specifications of A. Gottfried & Co. organ (1929).

Illustrations:
     Klauder, John. Console and façades of A. Gottfried & Co. organ (1929).