Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity - Bronx, N.Y.
 
Click on image to enlarge
Church of the Holy Nativity
(Episcopal)

3061 Bainbridge Avenue at 204th Street
Bronx, New York 10467
http://holynativity.dioceseny.org/



The Protestant Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity was organized on the First Sunday of Advent, November 25, 1900, when several prominent Norwood families gathered in a small, wooden stable, located at 3044 Decatur Avenue, just north of what is now Mosholu Parkway, on the 13.5 acre estate of William Watson Niles, Jr. In this stable, recently converted into a makeshift chapel, these families of Norwood gathered to worship and organize a new mission. Not only was this the first mission established in Norwood by the Diocese of New York, but it was also the neighborhood's first and only religious institution. A few of the chapel's families actually lived in Manhattan, but had country homes in Norwood, and were amongst the earliest congregants. Because they first met during the Advent season, the founding families chose "The Church of the Holy Nativity" as their chapel's name and feast of title.

By 1904, the chapel's congregation realized that although their mission was small, it was steadily growing and the stable no longer provided adequate space. Members of the vestry searched the immediate area for a site for a new church building. During the year 1905, services were held in O'Hara's Hall on 200th Street between Webster and Decatur Avenues, and in the fall of 1905, a site on the corner of Woodlawn Road and Bainbridge Avenue was purchased for $10,000. Hoppin, Koen and Huntington prepared the plans that called for a church, parish house and a rectory, designed in the Tudor Style. Construction began in July, 1906, and the total cost of all three buildings was to be $75,000. The parish house, the first building constructed, was used as the place of worship until the new church was built. Despite the onset of the Depression, the cornerstone for the church was laid on November 17, 1929, by The Rt. Rev. William T. Manning, Bishop of New York York and the Rev. Charles F. Kennedy, Rector.

The first service in the all-but-completed new building was conducted in the basement auditorium on April 6, 1930. The congregation numbered 400. Two weeks later, the church was finished and opened for regular services on Easter Sunday, April 20, 1930. On Sunday, November 23, 1930, the church was consecrated by Bishop Manning.
               

J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co.
New York City – Opus 484 (1912)
Tubular-pneumatic action
Rebuilt by Odell with electric action – Opus 624 (1960)
2 manuals, 11 stops, 11 ranks


In 1912, the J.H. & C.S. Odell Company built a two-manual organ with tubular-pneumatic action for Holy Nativity P.E. Church. The contract (Oct. 31, 1912) shows that the organ cost $2,450. Odell was contracted (Jan. 26, 1960) to electrify the organ and move it to the present church. This job was Odell's Opus 624.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes (enclosed?)
8
  Open Diapason
61
4
  Octave
61
8
  Dulciana
61
 
Chimes (added 1930)
8
  Melodia
61
     
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed

8
  Violin Diapason
61
4
  Rohr Flöte
61
8
  Salicional
61
8
  Oboe
61
8
  Aeoline
61
  Tremolo
8
  Stopped Diapason
61
   
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 30 notes

16
  Bourdon
30
   
               
Couplers

    Great to Pedal 8'       Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'  
    Swell to Pedal 8'          
               
Piston Combination Movements (Adjustable)

    Great Organ Piano     Swell Organ Piano
    Great Organ Forte     Swell Organ Forte
               
Pedal Movements

    Balanced Swell Pedal     Great to Pedal Reversible
    Balanced Crescendo Pedal      
               
Mechanical Accessories

    Wind Indicator      
    Crescendo Indicator      

               
Sources:
     Church of the Holy Nativity website: http://holynativity.dioceseny.org/
      Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specification of J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 494 (1912).

Illustrations:
     Church of the Holy Nativity website. Exterior.