Administration Building - College of Mount Saint Vincent - Bronx, New York
click on any image to enlarge
College of Mount St. Vincent

6301 Riverdale Avenue
The Bronx, N.Y. 10471
http://www.cmsv.edu

Chapel

               
In 1847, the Sisters of Charity founded their first Motherhouse and the Academy of Mount Saint Vincent on a hill near what is now 105th Street and Fifth Avenue. When New York City announced plans to enlarge Central Park in 1855, the Sisters of Charity needed to find a new home for their Motherhouse and Academy. In 1856, under the leadership of Mother Angela Hughes, they chose a wooded area in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, on a hill along the Hudson River which a sweeping view of the Palisades. In the early years, the academy offered nursing courses in conjuction with St. Vincent's Hospital. Today, the college is co-educational and provides a competitive academic program. Among its distinguished alumna is Corazon Cojuangco (Class of 1953), who, as Corazon Aquino, became president of the Philippines.

The Chapel is located in the original building, which was erected in 1857-59 as designed by Henry Engelbert. Additions were made to what is now the Administration Building in 1865, 1883, and 1906-08. In 1979, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the building as a masterpiece of Early Romanesque Revival style.
               

 

 

Hilborne L. Roosevelt
New York City – Opus 4 (1873)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 16 stops, 16 ranks


The Chapel of what is now known as the College of Mount Saint Vincent was enlarged to its present size in 1874. The organ was built by Hilborne L. Roosevelt of New York City in 1873 (Opus 4). A note tacked inside the organ case reads, "This organ was under repair from Jan. 14, 1960 to June 29, 1960. No repairs to chests or action. The old-time Roosevelt pipes were taken to the factory, cleaned, re-paired, re-set and re-voiced. This work was done by J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co., Yonkers, N.Y.. Tuned Fall '84." The organ, one of the earliest extant Roosevelts, is in nearily-original but poor working condition. The College has plans to restore the instrument when funds become available.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 58 notes

16

  Double Melodia [missing]
58
4
  Octave
58

8

  Open Diapason
58
2
  Fifteenth
58

8

  Dulciana
58
8
  Cornopean
58

8

  Gamba *
58
  * originally Mixture III

8

  Clarabella **
46
  ** 1-12 common with Dulciana

     

     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed

8

  Viola di Gamba (TC)
46
4
  Flute Harmonique
58

8

  Doppel Flöte
58
2
  Piccolo
58

8

  Stopped Diapason Bass
12
8
  Oboe
58
               
Pedal Organ – 30 notes

16

  Double Open
30
8
  Violoncello
30

16

  Bourdon
30
     

     

     
Accessories
    Swell to Great       Pedal Combination 1  
    Swell to Pedal       Pedal Combination 2  
    Great to Pedal       Tremulant  

               

Sources:
     College of Mount Saint Vincent website: http://www.cmsv.edu
     Dolkart, Andrew S. and Postal, Matthew A. Guide to New York City Landmarks (Third Edition). New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2004.
     Ogasapian, John. Organ Building in New York City: 1700-1900. Braintree: The Organ Literature Foundation, 1977.

Illustrations:
     Steven E. Lawson: interior and organ.
 

               

| NYC AGO Home Page | Back to NYC Organs List |