Sacred Heart Catholic Church - The Bronx, N.Y.
  Click on images to enlarge
Church of the Sacred Heart
(Roman Catholic)

1253 Shakespeare Avenue at 168th Street
Bronx, N.Y. 10452

Organ Specifications:
Present building (since 1912):
II/15 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 474 (1911)
First building (1877-1912):
• unknown


Original Building (1877) of Church of the Sacred Heart - The Bronx, N.Y.  
First building (1877-1912)  
The parish of the Sacred Heart was organized in June 1875 by the Rev. James A. Mullen to serve the Catholic residents in High Bridge, a territory previously included in St. Augstine's parish. Father Mullen, who had been an assistant for several years at St. Augustine's Church, secured a hall at 165th Street and Lind Avenue and there celebrated the new parish's first Mass on June 20, 1875. Arrangements were made to purchase the wooden frame chapel that had been the first Church of St. Rose of Lima on Cannon Street in Lower Manhattan. It was disassembled and brought in sections to High Bridge. The cornerstone of this temporary church was laid on May 28, 1876, and dedicated by Cardinal McCloskey on October 21, 1877. Father Mullen was pastor of the church for more than 30 years.

Succeeding Father Mullen was the Rev. John J. Lennon. It was under his leadership that a school was opened on April 10, 1908. He also moved forward with plans to erect the present church building and rectory. Architect Elliott Lynch designed the new church in the 15th century Gothic style that has an exterior of Dorset (Vermont) marble. It measures 120 by 75 feet and could originally seat 750 people. The cornerstone was laid on April 30, 1911, and the completed church was dedicated by Cardinal Farley on April 14, 1912.

In 2007, the parish of St. Francis of Assisi, located about a mile north on Shakespeare Avenue, was merged into Sacred Heart Church.
         
J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co.
New York City – Opus 474 (1911)
Tubular-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 15 stops, 15 ranks


The Articles of Agreement (Sept. 9, 1911) show that this organ cost $3,000 and was to be set up on or before February 1, 1912. Odell provided case-work of quartered oak and display pipes gilded with gold colored metal. At an unknown time the organ was removed from the church.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Open Diapason
61
8
  Melodia
61
8
  Gamba
61
4
  Harmonic Flute
61
8
  Dulciana
61
4
  Octave
61
       
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Violin Diapason
61
8
  Stopped Diapason
61
8
  Salicional
61
4
  Rohr Flute
61
8
  Aeoline
61
8
  Oboe
61
8
  Vox Celestis (TC)
49
       
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 30 notes
16
  Bourdon
30
8
  Bass Flute
30
               
Piston Combinations (Adjustable)
    Great Organ Forte   Swell Organ Forte
    Great Organ Piano   Swell Organ Piano
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal       Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'  
    Swell to Pedal       Pedal to Pedal Octaves  
               
Pedal Movements
    Crescendo Pedal   Great to Pedal Reversible
    Balanced Swell Pedal    
               
Mechanical Accessories
    Crescendo Indicator   Wind Indicator  
    Swell Tremolo       Organist Bench  
           
Sources:
     Bronx Catholic Blogspot: http://bronxcatholic.blogspot.com/2009/01/sacred-heart-highbridge.html
     In the Real Estate Field," The New York Times (Aug. 26, 1910).
     Shelley, Thomas J. The Bicentennial History of the Archdiocese of New York 1808-2008. Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007.
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specifications of J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 474 (1911).

Illustration:
     Irmam, Charles. Exterior.