St. Brendan Catholic Church - The Bronx, N.Y. (Charles Irmam)
  Click on images to enlarge
Church of St. Brendan
(Roman Catholic)

333 East 206th Street
The Bronx, N.Y. 10467
saintbrendanchurch.org/


Organ Specifications:
Present building (since 1967)
III/45 Casavant Frères, Op. 2869 (1967)
First building (1909-1967)
II/11 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 454 (1909)





The Roman Catholic Parish of St. Brendan was founded in 1908 to serve Catholics in the Norwood section of the Bronx. Archbishop John Farley name the parish for the Irish navigator, St. Brendan. Masses were held in a small frame building on Webster Avenue and 205th Street that was converted into a chapel. Father Denis O'Donovan, the founding pastor, began construction of a Gothic church in 1909. Groundbreaking began on April 29, 1909, and on May 16, the Feast of St. Brendan, the cornerstone was laid. The completed church was dedicated on November 21, 1909. The elementary school for girls was founded in 1911, and staffed by theDominican Sisters of Sparkill. For more than ten years the school met in the church basement that had been partitioned into five classrooms. In 1923, the school moved into a large fireproof building. St. Brendan Academy closed in 1939.

In the mid-1960s, following the aftermath of Vatican II, the parish was inspired to update its church building, including the architecture. Plans were made to construct the present church that was designed in a Modernist style by Belfatto & Pavarini to resemble the prow of a ship, commemorating St. Brendan's voyages. The completed church was dedicated in 1967.

In August 2015, the parishes of St. Brendan and nearby St. Ann were merged. In September 2016, the combined congregation was renamed "The Parish of St. Brendan and St. Ann."

           
  Casavant Frères organ, Op. 2869 (1967) in St. Brendan Catholic Church - The Bronx, N.Y. (credit: Daniel Kirk-Foster)
Casavant Frères, Limitée
St. Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada – Opus 2869 (1967)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 33 stops, 45 ranks


The organ was built in 1967 by Casavant Frères of St. Hyacinthe, Québec, Canada. Casavant returned in 1975 to install missing or damaged pipework.
               
Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes
16
  Quintade
61
4
  Nachthorn
61
8
  Prinzipal
61
2
  Flachflöte
61
8
  Rohrflöte
61
1 1/3
  Mixtur IV ranks
244
4
  Oktav
61
8
  Trompete
61
 
     
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Gedacktflöte
61
2
  Waldflöte
61
8
  Gemshorn
61
1 1/3
  Nasat
61
8
  Schwebung (TC)
49
    Zimbel III ranks
183
4
  Spitzprinzipal
61
8
  Oboe
61
4
  Rohrpfeife
61
    Tremulant  
               
Positiv Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Holzgedackt
61
2
  Oktav
61
8
  Erzähler
61
    Sesquialtera II ranks (TC)
98
4
  Prinzipal
61
    Scharf IV ranks
244
4
  Koppeflöte
61
8
  Krummhorn
61
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Prinzipal
32
4
  Choralbass
32
16
  Subbass
32
2 2/3
  Mixtur IV ranks
128
8
  Oktav
32
16
  Posaune
32
8
  Gedacktpommer
32
4
  Schalmei
32
               
Coupler Tablets
    Great to Pedal       Swell to Great  
    Swell to Pedal       Positiv to Great  
    Positiv to Pedal       Swell to Positiv  
               
Adjustable Combination Pistons
   
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
Positiv Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
Full Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4 (toe)
               
Reversible Pistons
    Great to Pedal (thumb & toe)   Swell to Great (thumb)
    Swell to Pedal (thumb & toe)   Positiv to Great (thumb)
    Positiv to Pedal (thumb & toe)   Full Organ (toe)
               
Balanced Pedals
    Swell expression  
    Crescendo on all stops and couplers      
               
Indicator Lights
    Crescendo      
    Wind          
    Full Organ          
 
J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co.
New York City – Opus 454 (1909)
Tubular-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 11 stops, 11 ranks


The Articles of Agreement, dated October 6, 1909, show that this organ cost $2,000 and was to be set up on or before March 1, 1910. Odell employed their "Patent Vacuo-Exhaust System" (tubular-pneumatic action) on this small two-manual organ, and provided case-work of quartered oak with display pipes gilded with colored Dutch metal or bronze.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Open Diapason
61
8
  Melodia
61
8
  Dulciana
61
4
  Octave
61
       
 
     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Violin Diapason
61
4
  Violina
61
8
  Salicional
61
8
  Oboe
61
8
  Aeoline
61
    Tremolo  
8
  Stopped Diapason
61
       
 
     
 
     
Pedal Organ – 30 notes
16
  Bourdon
30
       
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal       Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'  
    Swell to Pedal          
               
Pedal Movements
    Great Organ Forte   Swell Organ Forte
    Great Organ Piano   Swell Organ Piano
    Great to Pedal Reversible   Balanced Swell Pedal
               
Mechanical Accessories
    Bellows Signal   Wind Indicator  
    Swell Tremolo       Organist Bench  
           
Sources:
     St. Brendan and St. Ann Church website: saintbrendanchurch.org/
     Scheer, Stanley. Factory Specification (Sept. 27, 1966) of Casavant Frères Organ, Op. 2869.
     Shelley, Thomas J. The Bicentennial History of the Archdiocese of New York 1808-2008. Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007.
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specification (Oct. 6, 1909) of J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 454.

Illustration:
     Irmam, Charles. Exterior.
     Kirk-Foster, Daniel. Interior.