St. Paul Lutheran Church
|Click on image to enlarge
1891 McGraw Avenue at Virginia Avenue
Bronx, N.Y. 10462
1891 McGraw Avenue at Virginia Avenue (since 1948)
• II/6 Rodgers Instruments electronic with pipes (1980)
• unknown (1948)
800 East 156th Street (1898-1946)
► II/18 Henry Erben (1839) – installed (1923 or 1925)
East 150th Street and Robbins Avenue (1879-1898)
St. Paul's Lutheran Church can trace its roots back to June 1879, when a Sunday School was created in the East Morrisania part of the Bronx. A year later Rev. Buch conducted church services in the home of Mortiz Schmidt. By 1882 St. Paul’s was organized and the new congregation under Pastor Hugo Richter soon built its first church on 150th Street and Robbins Avenue.
In 1898 the second St. Paul’s was erected on East 156th Street near Union Avenue. On its twenty-fifth anniversary sixteen stained glass windows made in Munich graced the church.
The third St. Paul’s began with groundbreaking for the Parish Hall in Parkchester in June 1946. The congregation left its house at 156th Street and services were held at The Circle Theater until the building was completed. Ground was broken in June 1956 on McGraw and Virginia Avenues and the completed church was dedicated in October 1957.
As a part of the 100th Anniversary of the church, a new Rodgers pipe-electronic organ was installed in 1980 and the altar was relocated.