Tremont Presbyterian Church - Bronx, N.Y.
 
Click on images to enlarge
Tremont Presbyterian Church

1954 Grand Concourse at 178th Street
Bronx, N.Y. 10457
http://www.tremontonline.org/


Organ Specifications:
1954 Grand Concourse at 178th Street (since 1915)
II/14 M.P. Möller, Inc., Op. 6589 (1937)
1745 Washington Avenue at 174th Street (1860-1915)
• II/14 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 206 (1883)



Tremont Presbyterian Church - Bronx, N.Y. (Thaddeus Wilkerson, c.1909 - MCNY)  
Postcard (c.1909) of first building  
   
Tremont Presbyterian Church can trace its roots to the spring of 1854 when a small group of people started a house meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Noe, located at Washington Avenue and 175th Street. The society met on a regular basis for prayer under the leadership of Rev. L. C. Lockwood. On November 8, 1854 the Presbytery of New York City met with the group and organized the Union Church of Upper Morrisania. The new congregation had twenty-three charter members.

In June 1856 a call was extended to the Rev. James C. Wallace to become the first pastor. At the same time the society began to raise funds toward construction of a permanent church. Property was purchased on the west side of Washington Avenue, north of 174th Street, and an edifice was erected in 1860. It was then that the name of the society was changed to The First Presbyterian Church of Tremont.

In 1914 the Church Extension Committee of the Presbytery of New York City purchased property on the Grand Concourse near 178th Street and erected the present edifice. The completed church was dedicated on October 24, 1915. Additions to the building were completed in 1963.
               
  Tremont Presbyterian Church - Bronx, N.Y.
M.P. Möller, Inc.
Hagerstown, Md. – Opus 6589 (1937)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 23 stops, 14 ranks





The Factory Specifications (July 20, 1937) show that M.P. Möller provided a detached two-manual drawknob console, and built a case and grill of quartered oak.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Open Diapason
73
4
  Octave
73
8
  Melodia
73
4
  Flute
8
  Keraulophon
73
2
  Fifteenth
61
8
  Unda Maris (TC)
61
    2 Blank Knobs  

     

     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
16
  Lieblich Gedeckt [unit]
97
2 2/3
  Nazard
8
  Geigen Diapason
73
2
  Flautina
8
  Gedeckt
73
8
  Trumpet
73
8
  Salicional
73
8
  Oboe
73
8
  Vox Celeste (TC)
61
    Tremolo  
4
  Salicet
    2 Blank Knobs  
4
  Flute d'Amour
       

     

     
Pedal Organ – 32 notes
16
  Open Diapason (ext. GT)
12
8
  Flute (fr. Bourdon)
16
  Bourdon
44
8
  Gedeckt
SW
16
  Lieblich Gedeckt
SW
    1 Blank Knob  
               
Couplers
    Great to Pedal 8', 4'   Great 16', 8' Unison, 4'
    Swell to Pedal 8', 4'   Swell 16', 8' Unison, 4'
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'    
               
Adjustable Combinations
   
Great & Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4-5 (thumb)
Swell & Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4-5 (thumb)
Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4-5 (thumb & toe)
Entire Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4-5 (thumb & toe)
               
Accessories
    Balanced Swell Expression Pedal   Sforzando Pedal and Piston
    Balanced Great Expression Pedal   Great to Pedal Reversible
    Balanced Crescendo Pedal   General Cancel Piston
               
Organ in building on Washington Avenue:

J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co.
New York City – Opus 206 (1883)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 14 stops


The contract (Nov. 15, 1883) shows that Odell would build a two-manual organ for a consideration of $2,085. Compasses were 58 notes for the manuals and 29 notes for the pedal. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
               
Sources:
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.
     Tremont Presbyterian Church website: http://www.tremontonline.org/
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specification (July 20, 1937) of M.P. Möller organ, Op. 6589.
     "Harlem Orthodox Group Gets Presbyterian Church Plot on Washington Av.," The New York Times (Sept. 18, 1931)

Illustrations:
     Google Street View. Exterior.
     Tremont Presbyterian Church web site. Interior.
     Wilkerson, Thaddeus. Postcard (c.1909) of Tremont Presbyterian Church. Collection of the Museum of the City of New York.