Bellevue Hospital - New York City (Architecture and Building, 1914)

  Click on images to enlarge.
Bellevue Hospital

462 First Avenue at 27th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016

Organ Specifications:
Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament (Catholic):
II/8 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op. 334 (1896)
Chapel of the Christ the Consoler (Protestant Episcopal):
• Unknown (c.1889)
           
Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament
(Roman Catholic)

Leary Memorial Chapel


The first Roman Catholic Chapel at Bellevue Hospital was the gift of Miss Annie Leary in memory of her brother, Arthur Leary. Designed in the French Gothic style, the chapel was built of stone quarried from the banks of the East River. The interior was finished in hand-carved oak that was executed under the personal supervision of Miss Leary. Walls were hued in an old rose shade, while the ceiling was pale blue, darkening in color as it neared the arch above the altar. Within the chancel rail were three marble altars, and above the altar was a window representing Christ healing the sick. Nine additional windows, executed in Munich, represented patron saints. The chapel was dedicated on February 27, 1897, in impressive ceremonies officiated by Archbishop Corrigan. Music was furnished by a double quartet led by William Pecher, organist at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Miss Leary sent invitations to 300 friends, and after the service gave a very handsome breakfast in the banquet room of the Waldorf Hotel. The two-hour breakfast was attended by forty gentlemen, including clergy who had officiated, friends of Mr. Leary, and others who had been interested in the building and dedication of the chapel. Guests were received by Miss Leary, assisted by Mrs. Stuyvesant Fish, Mrs. John Dahlgren Drexel, and Mrs. Charles Oelrichs, but when breakfast was announced Miss Leary and her female friends left to have breakfast in the restaurant downstairs.

The chapel was razed in 1938 to make way for a new Administration Building that would include a new chapel.

J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 334 (1896)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 8 stops, 8 ranks

The Odell organ in Leary Memorial Chapel was installed in a gallery above the confessional box, near the patients' entrance.
                 
Great Organ(Manual I) – 58 notes
8
  Open Diapason  
58
       
8
  Gamba [TC]  
46
       
8
  Melodia [TC]  
46
       
8
  Stopped Bass  
12
       
4
  Octave  
58
       

       

     
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 58 notes, enclosed
8
  Viola [TC]  
46
       
8
  Stopped Diapason [TC]  
46
       
8
  Unison Bass  
12
       
4
  Rohr Flöte  
58
       
                 
Pedal Organ – 27 notes
16
  Bourdon  
27
       
                 
Couplers
    Swell to Great            
    Swell to Pedal            
    Great to Pedal            
                 
Mechanical Accessories
    Bellows Signal            
    Tremulant            
    Balance Swell Pedal            
                 
Pedal Movements
    Piano on Great Organ      
    Forte on Great Organ      
    Great to Pedal, Reversible      
           
Christ the Consoler Chapel
(Protestant)


Christ the Consoler Chapel, presented to the New-York Protestant Episcopal City Mission Society, was built in 1889, and was the gift of Mrs. Richard H. L. Townsend, who also built the Townsend Pavillion in 1887. The chapel, designed in the same style as the hospital building, was three stories high; on the ground floor was a room for "lady visitors" with store-room and closets where clothes were distributed to deserving patients when they were discharged from the hospital. On the south side of the ground floor was a mortuary for the dead awaiting burial. The next floor contained the chapel that was 43 feet long by 21 feet wide. Benches could accomodate about one hundred persons. The windows, all of cathedral glass, included one depicting Christus Consolater above the altar, flanked on either side by an angel. Christ the Consoler Chapel was dedicated on Easter Monday, 1889. In 1937, the chapel was closed.

 

1893 photos of Christ the Consoler Chapel (Protestant) at Bellevue Hospital - New York City

Unknown Builder
(c.1889)
Mechanical action
1 manual?



Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
           
Sources:
     An Account of Bellevue Hospital with a Catalog of Medical and Surgical Staff from 1736 to 1894. Robert J. Carlisle, M.D., ed. New York: The Society of the Alumni of Bellevue Hospital, New York, 1893.
     Architecture and Building, Vol. XLVI (Jan. – Dec. 1914). New York: William B. Comstock Co.
     "Leary Memorial Chapel," The New York Times (Feb. 28, 1897).
     "Bellevue Chapel Being Razed," The New York Times (Mar. 25, 1938).
     Dunlap, David W. and Joseph J. Vecchione. Glory in Gotham: Manhattan's Houses of Worship, A Guide to Their History, Architecture and Legacy. New York: City and Company, 2001.
     Nelson, George. Organs in the United States and Canada Database. Seattle, Wash.
     Trupiano, Larry. Factory Specifications of J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 334 (1896).

Illustrations:
     An Account of Bellevue Hospital with a Catalog of Medical and Surgical Staff from 1736 to 1894. Interior of Christ the Consoler Chapel.
     Architecture and Building, Vol. XLVI (Jan. – Dec. 1914). Hospital complex (1914).