||St. Paul's Within
the Walls, Rome, Italy
Hilborne L. Roosevelt
New York City – No. 39 (1878)
2 manuals, 28 stops, 33 ranks
This organ was built for St. Paul's Within the Walls
Episcopal Church in Rome, Italy. Also known as the
American Church in Rome, St. Paul's is notable for
being the first Protestant church built in Rome,
made possible by the Kingdom of Italy's capture of
from the Papacy in 1870. The church building was
financed by American friends. George Edmund Street
designed the Gothic Revival building
was completed in 1880.
Before the organ
was shipped to Rome, it was set up in Irving Hall.
Organ concerts were presented on June 3rd, 5th and
8th, 1878, to aid the Organ
Fund of the church. Volunteering their services were
Mr. Samuel P. Warren (Grace Church, New York), Mr.
Geo. W. Morgan (Brooklyn Tabernacle), Mr. S. B. Whiteley
(Zion Church, New York), and Mr. P. A. Schnecker
Presbyterian Church, New York). They were assisted
by Miss Maud Morgan, harp; Miss Emily Wynant, contralto;
Mr. Eugene E. Oudin,
baritone; Mr. Adolphe Sohst, basso; and Mr. J. Levy,
cornet. The Programme has the following description:
In presenting to the American public for inspection
this, his latest work, prior to its shipment to Italy,
Mr. Roosevelt takes pleasure in calling attention,
primarily, to the general plan of the same. Although
not so large as some others of his construction, it
will be found to embarce the characteristics and
qualities which have contributed toward establishing
his reputation artistically, as an Organ builder.
The scheme has been laid out with especial regard
to the peculiar nature of the Roman climate. The
effect of the Sirocco winds on any but the best seasoned
woods made it necessary that great care should be
taken in the choir of materials used. In the construction
of the instrument also, the aim has been to have the
mechanism as simple and free of intricacy as possible,
so that in its far-off location little or no trouble
may be experienced in its setting up and adjustment.
For the same reason no inconvenience in the future
need be feared from the operation of atmospheric influence.
Entirely free of the pneumatic action, the touch
is nevertheless very easy, whilst the immediate connection
of keys and soundboards, renders it prompt and agreeable.
The tone will be found full, round and pure. In
the voicing of the individual stops, regard has been
had to their character singly, as well as to their
place in the aggregate tone mass; before all, however,
to the size of the church to which the instrument
is going, and its situation therein. For its number
of stops the builder believes it to be at once the
richest and most powerful of his manufacture up to
the present time.