Phillips Presbyterian Church - New York City
  Click on images to enlarge
Phillips Presbyterian Church

Madison Avenue, northeast corner of 73rd Street
New York, N.Y. 10021


Organ Specifications:
Madison Avenue at East 73rd Street (1858-1899)
Second building (1874-1899)
• Hall & Labagh (1874)
First building (1858-1874)
• unknown
15th Street, betw. Irving Place & Third Avenue (1844-1858)
• unknown



The Phillips Presbyterian Church can trace its roots to 1844, when it was organized as the Fifteenth Street Presbyterian Church. A modest church was built on 15th Street, between Irving Place and Third Avenue. In 1858 the congregation moved uptown to Lenox Hill, where a building was erected on the corner of Madison Avenue and 73rd Street. At this time, the society was renamed Phillips Presbyterian Church, in honor of the Rev. William Wirt Phillips (1796-1865), a notable leader in the Presbyterian Church. In 1873, a second building was erected on the site; designed by R. H. Robertson, the Victorian Gothic building featured an imposing tower on its corner entrance.

A merger of the Phillips Presbyterian and Madison Avenue Presbyterian congregations occurred in 1899. The combined congregations used the Phillips Presbyterian Church facilities but were known as Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church.
         
  Phillips Presbyterian Church - New York City (Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church Archives)
Hall & Labagh
New York City (1874)
Mechanical action






Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
           
Sources:
     Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church website: http://www.mapc.com
     "Phillips Presbyterian Church. Dedication Services Yesterday – A Sketch of Its History," The New York Times (Oct. 19, 1874).

Illustrations:
     Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church Archives. Undated photo of interior. Courtesy Andrew Henderson.