Astoria Presbyterian Church - Long Island City, NY
 
Click on images to enlarge
Astoria Presbyterian Church

23-35 Broadway
Long Island City, N.Y. 11106
http://www.astoriapres.org/


Organ Specifications:
23-35 Broadway (since 2008)
• unknown
31-40 33rd Street (1923-2008)
II/10 J.H. & C.S. Odell, Op 549 (1923)
27th Avenue, west of 18th Street (1847-1923)
• unknown


Original (1847-1922) Astoria Presbyterian Church - Long Island City, NY  
Original Church  
The Astoria Presbyterian Church held its first service on May 17, 1846 in a small district schoolhouse that stood on the south side of Franklin Street. Within a few months the congregation was organized, and on November 30, 1846, the cornerstone was laid for a church edifice on 27th Avenue, just west of 18th Street. The new church, of Gothic design with a tall steeple, was completed in a little over six months, and was formally dedicated on June 11, 1847.

Following the end of the Great War, there was a need for a larger church facility. In March, 1919, the trustees were authorized to sell the old church property, and proceeds from the sale of the parsonage started the building fund. On January 19, 1921, land on 33rd Street was donated by Mr. Deans, a member, with the stipulation that it be used for a new church. Architect A. Edward Richardson of Flushing was selected to design the church and adjoining church house, and on August 8, plans were filed and a permit was received to begin construction. On April 22, 1922, the cornerstone for the new church was laid atop the old cornerstone, dated 1846, that was moved from the old church. The church complex, of Georgian design, is faced with rough stone and trimmed with limestone.

By the year 2000, the church and neighborhood had declined, and income did not meet the church's expenses. The buildings, now over 80 years old, were in need of major repairs that would cost up to $1.5 million. Around 2004, the church leaders proposed that a developer be allowed to construct new buildings that would include 100 units of senior citizen housing, a pastor’s residence, a day care facility and a smaller, multi-use church with room for community activities and performance-oriented events. Despite much opposition by the community and preservationists, the congregation held its final worship service in the old facility in the summer of 2008 and moved to its current location at 23-35 Broadway in September of 2008. The congregation hopes to return to its new facility in the fall of 2011.
           
J.H. & C.S. Odell
New York City – Opus 549 (1923)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 10 stops, 10 ranks


In January, 1923, the J.H. & C.S. Odell Company installed a two-manual organ with 10 stops at a cost of $4,000. The organ was repaired several times over the years, and a new console was installed in 1957. Chimes were added in 1958, playable from the pedals. The fate of this organ is unknown.
               
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes
8
  Open Diapason
61
8
  Melodia (wood)
61
8
  Dulciana
61
4
  Octave
61
               
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
  Salicional
61
4
  Rohr Flute (wood & metal)
61
8
  Vox Celestis (TC)
49
8
  Oboe
61
8
  Stopped Diapason (wood)
61
       
               
Pedal Organ – 30 notes
16
  Bourdon (wood)
30
       
           
Sources:
     "Astoria Presbyterian Church Cornerstone Laid," Long Island City Daily Star (Apr. 22, 1922).
     Astoria Presbyterian Church web site: http://www.astoriapres.org/
     Greater Astoria Historical Society web site: http://www.astorialic.org/
     "Is Now Fifty Years Old: History of the Astoria Presbyterian Church," The New York Times (May 19, 1896).
     Schramm, Charles. Stoplist of J.H. & C.S. Odell Organ, Op. 549 (1922).
     Toscano, John. "Astoria Church Faces Emotional Issue: Find Funds to Save It, or Demolish and Rebuild," The Queens Gazette (Feb. 4, 2004).

Illustrations:
     Greater Astoria Historical Society web site. Original church; second church exterior.