Trinity United Methodist Church

107-12 86th Avenue
Richmond Hill (Queens), N.Y. 11418

Organ Specifications:
II/7 Estey Organ Company, Op. 2187 (1924)
• unknown (1912)

Trinity United Methodist Church dates to 1907, when a small group of Methodists living in Richmond Hill discussed the possibility of establishing a local church. At that time there was no public transportation and walking to a Methodist Church in the Morris Park area involved crossing unpaved muddy streets with no sewers, and other generally difficult travel conditions. Services were held, first as prayer meetings in the homes of members, followed by the rental of a little-used German Presbyterian church building, and then in a store on Jamaica Avenue. Thus was born the "Jamaica Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church of Richmond Hill, Long Island." A retired minister, The Rev. Dr. Theodore F. Clark, served as the pastor for the first year. Andrews Church in Cypress Hills presented some old hymnals, a member of Richmond Hill Baptist Church made a gift of a pulpit Bible, and some pews which had been stored in the basement of a Brooklyn church were moved into the store space. Later in 1907, the church name was changed and became incorporated as "Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church of Richmond Hill."

Late in the year 1907 the lots on which the church building now stands were purchased and plans were made for construction. The cornerstone was laid in July of 1908. Services continued to be held in the store on Jamaica Avenue until in late spring a large tent was erected on a vacant lot across the street from the construction site. Services were held there until a severe storm one Saturday night destroyed the tent. The men of the church worked through the night moving chairs and boarding up the window openings and on Sunday morning the first service was held by lantern light in the doorless, windowless building. Meanwhile, construction continued and on January 31, 1909, Trinity was formally dedicated by Bishop Daniel A. Goodsell.
  Trinity United Methodist Church - Richmond Hill (Queens), N.Y.
Estey Organ Company
Brattleboro, Vt. – Opus 2187 (1924)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 7 stops, 7 ranks

The organ in Trinity Church was originally built in 1924 by the Estey Organ Company for the Lucy G. Schieffelin Residence in Manhattan. It was voiced on 5" wind pressure and included a detached two-manual console. In the Estey Shop Order (Dec. 1, 1924) there is a comment in the "Details of Voicing" field: "Very careful. For organist's personal use."

Although the church's online history states that the organ was acquired in 1925, it seems more likely that the organ was moved to the church sometime after Miss Schieffelin died in 1936.
Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
  Open Diapason
Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
  Flute Harmonic
  Stopped Diapason
Pedal Organ – 30 notes, enclosed
    Great to Great 4', Unison   Swell to Pedal 8'
    Swell to Swell 16', 4', Unison   Great to Pedal 8'
    Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'    
    Pistons No. 1-2-3 affecting Great & Pedal & Couplers
    Pistons No. 1-2-3 affecting Swell & Pedal & Couplers
    Pistons No. 1-2-3 affecting Entire Organ
    Expression Pedal – Swell & Great   Great to Pedal Reversible
    Crescendo Pedal   Tremulant
Unknown Builder

In the church's history we read, "In 1912 the church was wired for electricity and our first organ was purchased for $500. It served until 1925 when our present organ was installed and dedicated." This may have been a reed organ. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
     Carnahan, John. Factory Shop Order for Estey Organ, Op. 2187 (1924).
     The Estey Pipe Organ web site:
     "Schieffelin Will to Help Charity," The New York Times, May 20, 1936.
     Trinity United Methodist Church web site:

     Trinity United Methodist Church web site. Altar and organ facade.