Brooklyn — All Saints Catholic Church — Williamsburg

Categories: Religious and Houses of Worship

Post Meta Data for post with ID 15610

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Church of All Saints
venue_filename => AllSaintsRC.html
borough => brooklyn
neighborhood => Williamsburg
vp_title => All Saints Roman Catholic Church - Brooklyn, NY
venue_alpha => All Saints Catholic Church
venue_aka => All Saints Catholic Church
venue_name_with_markup {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Church of All Saints</h2>
venue_name_ip => All Saints Catholic Church (Williamsburg)
venue_name_ip_clean => All Saints Catholic Church
venue_info_vp {html} =>
All Saints Roman Catholic Church - Brooklyn, NY <td width="200"><img src="/Organs/Bkln/img/AllSaintsRCExt.jpg" alt="All Saints Roman Catholic Church - Brooklyn, N.Y. (photo: Steven E. Lawson)" width="200" border="0" > <strong>(Roman Catholic)</strong><br> 115 Throop Avenue at Thornton Street<br> Brooklyn, N.Y. 11206<br> The Roman Catholic parish of All Saints was organized in 1866 to serve German immigrants who worked in the breweries and plants of this neighborhood in Williamsburg. A modest red brick church that could accomodate 700 in its pews was erected on the present site, and the new structure was consecrated on December 29, 1867, by the Rt. Rev. John Loughlin, Bishop of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Father Anton Arnold, who established the church, would continue as pastor for several decades.<br><br> <td width="200"><img src="/Organs/Bkln/img/AllSaintsRC1896Drw.jpg" alt="Al Saints Roman Catholic Church - Brooklyn, N.Y. (drawing, Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Nov. 27, 1896)" width="200" border="0" > By the end of the 19th century, the parish had outgrown its original building. The cornerstone for the present church was laid on Pfingst Monday (the day after Pentecost) 1894, and by August 10, 1894, services could be held in the basement. Schickel &amp; Ditmars of New York designed the the Neo-Gothic church, which is built of a light brick above a foundation of Munson granite. Trimmings and cornices are of buff Indiana limestone, and terra cotta is used for the tracery, pinnacles, columns and parapets. A large tower rises 208 feet above the ground and contains the main entrance to the church. The church was designed in the shape of a cross, and is 146 feet long by 80 feet wide. Electricity was used to illuminate the 1,500-seat interior, with clusters of incandescent lamps around the columns and on erect stands in the transepts. Four Alps green marble columns on either side of the nave support the groined arched ceiling, and at the transept are two larger columns. The sanctuary of the new church, which is about eighteen feet deep from the white onyx altar rail to the foot of the main altar, covers the full width of the church and occupies the exact site of the old church. Italian statuary marble was used to construct the main altar, which is 30 feet high by 16 feet wide, and for the two smaller altars that are found on either side of the main altar. The church was dedicated by four bishops on November 26, 1896.<br> Following the decline of breweries and closing of plants, the German population relocated to other areas, and the neighborhood was then inhabited for many decades by Italians. In the 1960s, hundreds of area homes were demolished to make way for a half-dozen housing projects. Many of the Italian families left for Queens and Long Island, and the neighborhood became largely Hispanic. Today, All Saints&#39; congregation is 80 percent Hispanic.
venue_addresses {html} =>
115 Throop Avenue at Thornton Street<br> Brooklyn, N.Y. 11206
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> &quot;All Saints&#39; Dedicated. Impressive Ceremonial in a German Catholic Church,&quot; <em>Brooklyn Eagle,</em> (Nov. 27, 1896).<br> Berger, Joseph. &quot;New Role for Women: Nuns Guide a Brooklyn Parish,&quot; <em>The New York Times</em> (Aug. 12, 1986).<br> &quot;Bishops Will Dedicate. Four High Dignitaries to Officiate at All Saints&#39;,&quot; <em>Brooklyn Eagle</em> (Nov. 25, 1896).<br> &quot;Consecration of the Church of All Saints &ndash; Grand Pageant in the Sixteenth Ward,&quot; <em>Brooklyn Eagle</em> (Dec. 30, 1867).<br> Fox, David H. <em>A Guide to North American Organbuilders (Rev. ed.). </em>Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 1997.<br> Mahanor, Tali. Specifications of the 1896 William G. Schwarze organ as of 2007.<br> Illustrations <em>Brooklyn Eagle</em> (Nov. 27, 1896), Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn Collection: 1896 drawing of exterior.<br> Lawson, Steven E. Exterior; William Schwarze organ (1896).
venue_html_ip => All Saints Catholic Church (Williamsburg) 115 Throop Avenue at Thornton Street Present building (since 1896): ► II/36 William G. Schwarze (1896); reb. First building (1867-1896) • unknown
venue_html_vp {html} =>
num_organs_ip => 2
num_organs_vp => 4
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <em>Present building</em> (since 1896):<br> <a href="#Schwarze">II/36 William G. Schwarze</a> (1896); reb. <em>First building</em> (1867-1896):<br> unknown
organs_html_ip => Present building (since 1896): ► II/36 William G. Schwarze (1896); reb. First building (1867-1896) • unknown
organs_html_vp {html} =>


---------- unknown----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes [Organ div no. 1]

Open Diapason
Open Diapason
2 2/3
Doppel Flute
Gamba Mixture III ranks

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]

16 Bourdon 4 Flute Harmonic
8 Open Diapason 2 Piccolo
Stopped Diapason Cornet III ranks
Hohl Flute
Vox Humana
Fugara Tremolo

Pedal Organ – 30 notes? [Organ div no. 3]

Double Diapason
Principal Bass

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]

Great to Pedal Swell to Swell 16', 4'
Swell to Pedal Great to Great 16', 4'
Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'

Combinations [Organ div no. 5]

8 pistons
General Release

ORGAN 4/2 -- William G. Schwarze [Schwarze]

---------- William Schwarze Organ (1896) in All Saints Roman Catholic Church - Brooklyn, N.Y. (photo: Steven E. Lawson)

William G. Schwarze

Brooklyn, N.Y. (1896)
Tubular-pneumatic action?
Stop-key console
2 manuals, 32 stops, 36? ranks
The organ in the present church was built in 1896 by William Schwarze, an organbuilder then working in Brooklyn. Earlier in his career, Schwarze was the southern representative for Henry Erben, the noted organbuilder in New York City, and in 1870 rebuilt the historic Tannenberg organ in the Home Moravian Church in Old Salem, N.C. An account of the dedication of All Saints in The Brooklyn Eagle (Nov. 27, 1896) reported, "A new organ of the latest manufacture and provided with all the newest mechanical inventions has been erected in the church..."
At some point, the organ was rebuilt and possibly electrified. The organ was not playable in 2007. ----------

Pedal Movements [Organ div no. 1]

Great to Pedal Reversible Balanced Swell Pedal
Sforzando Pedal Crescendo Pedal
db_id => 4141
vp_id => 182
data_source => ***VP***
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
date_modified => 2022-05-17 14:37:12
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
    [post_id] => 15610