Brooklyn — Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel — Williamsburg

Categories: Religious and Houses of Worship, Roman Catholic

Post Meta Data for post with ID 15661

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
venue_filename => OurLadyMtCarmel.html
borough => brooklyn
neighborhood => Williamsburg
vp_title => Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel - Brooklyn, N.Y.
venue_aka => Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Shrine Church of
venue_name_with_markup {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel</h2>
venue_name_ip => Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Shrine Church of (Italian) (Williamsburg)
venue_name_ip_clean => Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Shrine Church of
venue_name_vp => Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Roman Catholic)
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel - Brooklyn, N.Y. <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/Bkln/img/OurLadyMtCarmelExt.JPG" alt="Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church - Brooklyn, N.Y. (Brooklyn Eagle, 1928)" width="250" > <strong>(Roman Catholic)</strong><br> 275 North 8th Street at Union Avenue (since 1887)<br> Brooklyn, N.Y. 11211<br> <a href="http://www.olmcchurchbk.com/" target="_blank">http://www.olmcchurchbk.com/</a><br> <td width="200"><img src="/Organs/Bkln/img/OurLadyMtCarmel1914Ext.jpg" alt="Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church - Brooklyn, N.Y." width="200" > NYC - Brooklyn - Greenpoint - Mt. Carmel Triangle This triangle, bounded by Union and Meeker Avenues and Jackson Street, honors Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, located at 275 North Eighth Street. Italian immigrants founded Mount Carmel Church in 1887, which was originally located at the corner of North Eighth Street and Union Avenue. Mount Carmel Church takes its name from the Roman Catholic order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (popularly known as the Carmelites), which was founded in 1150 by French hermit St. Berthold on the Israeli mountain ridge of the same name. The ridge, described in the Bible as an area of great holiness and natural beauty, has been important throughout religious history. As millions of Italian immigrants streamed into the United States in the last few decades of the nineteenth century, their need for a parish in New York City became increasingly urgent. Williamsburg with its vibrant Italian community seemed the obvious choice; by 1902 the parish included 12,000 people. By 1920, the 37 year-old church was too small to handle the growing number of parishioners. Unfortunately, funds for a new structure ran out during construction and only the basement was finished. For the next 10 years, the people of Mount Carmel worshipped in the &ldquo;Basement Church.&rdquo; In 1930, the new church opened to great fanfare. The construction of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, however, a highway connecting Queens with Brooklyn built from 1946 to 1964, forced demolition of the church in the 1940s. Although Our Lady of Mount Carmel is now located on the other side of the viaduct of the expressway between Meeker and Havemeyer Streets, Mt. Carmel Triangle still stands as a memorial to the church&rsquo;s previous incarnations. Nearby Father Giorgio Square, located at the intersection of Jackson and Lorimer Streets and Meeker Avenue, pays tribute to the Mount Carmel&rsquo;s Rev. Edward L. Giorgio (1909-1946). Mt. Carmel Triangle was acquired by the City of New York through the Meeker Avenue proceedings and named in 1939. In 1944 it became parkland. Mt. Carmel Triangle as it stands today serves as a memorial to the former location of the church. When the BQE was rehabilitated in 1987, Parks gave the parish permission to enhance the paved triangle with greenery and to erect a statue of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in tribute to the original church. The statue was sculpted by Pete Donohue. Rev. Monsignor David L. Cassato, the parish&rsquo;s pastor since 1985, agreed to work in conjunction with Parks to take care of the landscaping of this park, and it is through this combined effort that a tranquil natural oasis can dwell among several major thoroughfares.
venue_addresses => 275 North 8th Street at Union Avenue (since 1887) Brooklyn, N.Y. 11211 http://www.olmcchurchbk.com/
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> <em>The Catholic Church in the United States of America: Undertaken to Celebrate the Golden Jubilee of His Holiness, Pope Pius X, Vol. III.</em> New York: The Catholic Editing Company, 1914.<br> Shrine Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel web site: <a href="http://www.olmcchurchbk.com/" target="_blank">http://www.olmcchurchbk.com/</a><br> Trupiano, Larry. Information about Brandrup organ.<br> Illustrations <em>Brooklyn Eagle</em> (Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn Collection). Exterior (1907) of Debevoise Street church; interior (1908) of Schermerhorn Street church.<br> <em>The Catholic Church in the United States of America:</em> Exterior (c.1911) of Schermerhorn Street church.
venue_html_ip {html} =>
Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Shrine Church of (Italian) (Williamsburg) 275 North 8th Street at Union Avenue Present building (since 1940s) • unknown Second building (1930-1940s) – Basement church only – razed for Brooklyn-Queens Expressway • unknown First building (1887-1930) • II/13 Claus S. Brandrup (1902) • George Jardine & Son (<1891) • Ferris & Stuart
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 5
num_organs_vp => 8
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <em>Present building</em> (since 1940s)<br> unknown <em>Second building</em> (1930-1940s) &ndash; Basement church <br> unknown <em>First building</em> (1887-1930)<br> II/13 Claus S. Brandrup (1902) George Jardine &amp; Son (&lt;1891) Ferris &amp; Stuart
organs_html_ip {html} =>
Present building (since 1940s) • unknown Second building (1930-1940s) – Basement church only – razed for Brooklyn-Queens Expressway • unknown First building (1887-1930) • II/13 Claus S. Brandrup (1902) • George Jardine & Son (<1891) • Ferris & Stuart
organs_html_vp {html} =>
unknown
unknown
II/13 Claus S. Brandrup (1902)
George Jardine & Son (<1891)
Ferris & Stuart

ORGAN 5/0

---------- Ferris & Stuart----------

Great Organ (Manual I) [Organ div no. 1]

6 stops
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) [Organ div no. 2]

6 stops
---

Pedal Organ [Organ div no. 3]

1 stop
---

ORGAN 6/1 -- Claus S. Brandrup [Brandrup]

----------

Claus S. Brandrup

New York City (1902)
Unknown action
2 manuals, 13 stops
Specifications for this organ have not yet been located. ----------

ORGAN 7/2 -- George Jardine & Son [Jardine]

----------

George Jardine & Son

New York City (<1891)
Unknown action
Specifications for this organ have not yet been located. ----------

ORGAN 8/3 -- Ferris & Stuart [FerrisStuart]

----------

Ferris & Stuart

New York City
Mechanical action
Specifications for this organ have not yet been located.
----------
db_id => 4192
vp_id => 410
data_source => ***VP***
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Roman Catholic
date_modified => 2022-05-17 14:37:12
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 15661
)