Manhattan — Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe — Chelsea

Categories: Houses of Worship, Religious and Houses of Worship, Roman Catholic

Post Meta Data for post with ID 14385

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe
venue_filename => OurLadyGuadalupe.html
borough => manhattan
neighborhood => Chelsea
vp_title => Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe - New York City
venue_aka => Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church</h3> (Chelsea)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe</h2>
venue_name_ip => Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church (Chelsea)
venue_name_ip_clean => Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church
venue_name_vp => Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe
venue_info_ip {html} =>
Merged into Church of St. Bernard (2003)<br> 229 West 14th Street (1902-2003)
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe - New York City <td width="200"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/OurLadyGuadalupe2006ExtColUArchives.jpg" alt="Original Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe - New York City" WIDTH="200" border="0" align="right" > <strong>(Roman Catholic)</strong><br> 229 West 14th Street<br> New York, N.Y. 10011<br> The parish of <em>Nuestra Se&ntilde;ora de la Guadalupe,</em> honoring the patron of the Americas, was founded in 1902 to serve the spanish-speaking population of New York. A church was created in an existing row house on the north side of West 14th Street, between 7th and 8th Avenues, in the area once known as Little Spain. The Spanish Baroque facade that includes a rounded pediment and iron porch was designed by Gustave Steinback and added in 1921.<br> <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/OurLadyGuadalupe1970Intebay.jpg" alt="Original Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe - New York City" WIDTH="250" border="0" align="right" > As the city&#39;s Latin population changed over the years, Our Lady of Guadalupe has served spaniards, Spanish-Americans, Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. By the early 2000s, the small church could no longer accomodate the growing Mexican population, and in 2003 the congregation moved to nearby St. Bernard&#39;s Church at 330 West 14th, which was renamed Our Lady of Guadalupe at St. Bernard&#39;s.
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Dunlap, David W. <em>From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan&#39;s Houses of Worship.</em> New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.<br> LaJolla, Diego. Electronic mail concerning the Reuben Midmer &amp; Sons organ.<br>Nelson, George. <em>Organs in the United States and Canada Database.</em> Seattle, Wash.<BR> Sharpeger, Charles. Specifications of Midmer-Losh Organ (c.1900). Courtesy Larry Trupiano.<br> Illustrations Columbia University Archives: exterior (2006).<br> eBay.com: postcard of interior (1970).
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name"><a href="/Organs/NYC/html/OurLadyGuadalupe.html">Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church</a></h3> (Chelsea)</td> <td> Merged into Church of St. Bernard (2003)<br> 229 West 14th Street (1902-2003)<br> <div class="organ with_specs">II/10 Reuben Midmer &amp; Sons (c.1900) &ndash; moved from unknown Bronx church (c.1930); alt.</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 1
num_organs_vp => 1
organs_html_ip {html} =>
II/10 Reuben Midmer & Sons (c.1900) – moved from unknown Bronx church (c.1930); alt.
organs_html_vp {html} =>

Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes [Organ div no. 1]

8 Open Diapason 61 8 Melodia 61
8 Dulciana 61 4 Octave 61
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]


8 Violin Diapason 61 4 Flute Harmonic 61
8 Salicional [1-12 St. Diap.] 49 8 Oboe 61
8 Stopped Diapason 61 Tremolo
---

Pedal Organ – 30 notes [Organ div no. 3]


16 Bourdon 32 8 Flute [ext.] * 12
16 Lieblich Gedeckt [lo-pres.] *
* Lieblich action & 12-note ext. added later
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]


Great to Pedal 8' Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
Swell to Pedal 8' Swell to Swell 16', 4'
---

Pedal Movements [Organ div no. 5]


Balanced Swell Pedal
Crescendo Pedal
---

ORGAN 1/1 -- Reuben Midmer & Sons

----------

Reuben Midmer & Sons

Brooklyn, N.Y. (c.1900)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 12 stops, 10 ranks
The Reuben Midmer & Sons organ in Our Lady of Guadalupe Church was originally built around 1900 for a church in the Bronx, and was moved to its present location about 1930. The following specification is from an "organ notebook" kept by Charles Sharpeger, who indicated that the Midmer organ had tubular-pneumatic action. At some time, an unknown builder electrified the organ and provided a Reisner drawknob console. The Pedal Lieblich Gedeckt action (using the Bourdon stop on lower wind pressure) was added at an unknown time, along with a 12-pipe extension for the Pedal 8' Flute. ----------
db_id => 2344
ip_id => 2344
vp_id => 978
data_source => ip
attn_rqrd => name
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Roman Catholic
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 14385
)