Manhattan — Church of Our Lady of Vilnius — Soho

Categories: Houses of Worship, Religious and Houses of Worship, Roman Catholic

Post Meta Data for post with ID 14399

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Church of Our Lady of Vilnius
venue_filename => OurLadyVilnius.html
borough => manhattan
neighborhood => Soho
venue_status => closed 2007
vp_title => Church of Our Lady of Vilnius (Roman Catholic) - New York City
venue_aka => Our Lady of Vilnius Catholic Church
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">Our Lady of Vilnius Catholic Church</h3> (SOHO) (closed 2007)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Church of Our Lady of Vilnius</h2>
venue_name_ip => Our Lady of Vilnius Catholic Church (SOHO) (closed 2007)
venue_name_ip_clean => Our Lady of Vilnius Catholic Church
venue_name_vp => Church of Our Lady of Vilnius
venue_info_ip => 570 Broome Street at Varick Street
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Church of Our Lady of Vilnius (Roman Catholic) - New York City <img src="/Organs/NYC/img/OurLadyVilniusExt_tmb.jpg" width="200" alt="Lithuanian Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Vilnius - New York City" border="0"> <strong>(Roman Catholic)</strong><br> 570 Broome Street at Varick Street<br> New York, N.Y. 10013<br> <a href="http://www.ourladyofvilnius.org" target="_blank">http://www.ourladyofvilnius.org</a><br> <td width="200"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/OurLadyVilniusInt1.jpg" alt="Church of Our Lady of Vilnius (Lithuanian Roman Catholic) - New York City (photo: Raimundas Jonas)" width="200" border="0" > The Church of Our Lady of Vilnius was established in 1909 as a national parish church to serve Lithuanian Catholics in New York City. Harry G. Wiseman designed the yellow-brick church that was built in 1910. Located on Broome Street near Varick, the parish became a center fostering not only religious belief but also Lithuanian culture and national identity. People rallied around their church to maintain community bonds and remain close to their homeland. Our Lady of Vilnius was for many years home for a local chapter of the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic fraternal order.<br> In the 1920s, construction of the nearby Hudson Tunnel and its access roads uprooted the community, and by the time the tunnel opened in November, 1927, many one-family homes belonging to Lithuanian parishioners had been destroyed. Over the years, however, the Lithuanians continued to return to the church for social activities and for Masses in their native language.<br> By the late 1990s, the church roof had become unstable and services were moved to the basement. Despite valiant efforts to repair and save the church, the Archdiocese closed the parish on February 27, 2007.
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Adamkus, Valdas (President of the Republic of Lithuania). Letter to Cardinal Egan (Jan. 26, 2007).<br> Anderson, Lincoln. &quot;&lsquo;Pretzels&rsquo; and &lsquo;Provolone&rsquo; may lose their church,&quot;<em>Downtown Express</em> (Aug. 25-31, 2006).<br> Dunlap, David W. <em>From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan&#39;s Houses of Worship.</em> New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.<br> Kloda, Barry. Shop notes on the Aeolian organ.<br> Mohr, Louis F. &amp; Co. Specifications (Aug. 22, 1912) of George W. Earle organ (1868). Courtesy Larry Trupiano.<br> Nelson, George. <em>Organs in the United States and Canada Database.</em> Seattle, Wash.<br> Our Lady of Vilnius Church web site: <a href="http://www.ourladyofvilnius.org" target="_blank">http://www.ourladyofvilnius.org</a><br> Trupiano, Larry. Contract and Specification for M.P. M&ouml;ller organ, Op. 1186 (c.1909).<br> Trupiano, Larry. Specifications of Aeolian Organ as of 1973.<br> Illustrations Lithuanian Global Genealogical Society: <a href="http://www.lithuaniangenealogy.org/gallery/index.php?cat=0" target="_blank">www.lithuaniangenealogy.org</a>. Exterior; organ facade.<br> Jonas, Raimundas. Interior.
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name"><a href="/Organs/NYC/html/OurLadyVilnius.html">Our Lady of Vilnius Catholic Church</a></h3> (SOHO) (closed 2007)</td> <td>570 Broome Street at Varick Street<br> <div class="organ with_specs">II/10 Aeolian Company &ndash; from unknown residence</div> <div class="organ with_specs">II/17 George W. Earle &ndash; poss. moved from Spring Street Presb. by M.P. M&ouml;ller as Op. 1186</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 2
num_organs_vp => 4
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <a href="#Aeolian">II/10 Aeolian Company</a> &ndash; from unknown residence <a href="#Earle">II/17 George W. Earle</a> (1868) &ndash; inst. as M&ouml;ller, Op. 1186 (c.1909)
organs_html_ip {html} =>
II/10 Aeolian Company – from unknown residence
II/17 George W. Earle – poss. moved from Spring Street Presb. by M.P. Möller as Op. 1186
organs_html_vp {html} =>
II/10 Aeolian Company – from unknown residence
II/17 George W. Earle (1868) – inst. as Möller, Op. 1186 (c.1909)

ORGAN 2/0 [Earle]

---------- II/17 George W. Earle (1868) – inst. as Möller, Op. 1186 (c.1909)----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 1]

8
Open Diapason
61
8
Unda Maris
SW
8
Melodia [unit]
85
8
Stopped Diapason
SW
8
Viol d'Orchestre
SW
4
Flute Traverse
8
Viol Celeste
SW
2 2/3
Nasard
8
Dulciana
SW
2
Piccolo
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]

8 Violin Diapason [unit] 85 4 Principal
8 Salicional 61 2 Fifteenth
8
Vox Celeste
61
8
Oboe
61
8
Stopped Diapason
61
8
Vox Humana
61
8
Aeoline
61
Tremolo
8
Aeoline Vibrato
61
Harp
---

Pedal Organ – 32 notes [Organ div no. 3]

16 Bourdon [ext. GT] 12
16 Lieblich Gedeckt [lo-pressure]
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]

Swell to Pedal 8' Great to Great 4'
Great to Pedal 8' Swell to Swell 16', 4'
Swell to Great 8', 4'
---

ORGAN 3/1 -- Aeolian Company [Aeolian]

---------- Pipe facade of Aeolian Organ in Our Lady of Vilnius Catholic Church - New York City

Aeolian Company

New York City
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 22 stops, 10 ranks
The organ, which is not original to the church, was built by the Aeolian Company for an unknown residence. The organ originally had a duplexed chest for the majority of the pipework, and this was electrified by George DeLosh in 1972. The Great Melodia and Swell Violin Diapason are on a direct-electric chest. Following is the specification in 1973: ----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 56 notes [Organ div no. 1]

8
Open Diapason
56
4
Harmonic Flute
56
8
Melodia
56
4
Principal
56
8
Gamba
56
2 2/3
Twelfth
56
8
Dopple Flute
56
2
Fifteenth
56
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 56 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]

16 Bourdon Treble 44 8 Violin [later changed to 4'] 56
16 Bourdon Bass 12 8 Stopped Diapason 56
8
Open Diapason [TC]
44
Mixture 2 ranks [TC] [addition]
88
8
Dolce
56
8
Hautboy [TC]
44
---

Pedal Organ – 25 notes [Organ div no. 3]

16 Double Open 25
---

Couplers & Accessories [Organ div no. 4]

Swell to Pedal Tremolo
Great to Pedal Balanced Swell Pedal
Swell to Great
---

ORGAN 4/2 -- George W. Earle [Earle]

----------

George W. Earle

Riverhead, N.Y. (1868) – moved by M.P. Möller as Opus 1186 (c.1909)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 16 stops, 17 ranks
The first organ for Our Lady of Vilnius Church was a second-hand instrument that was installed by M.P. Möller as Opus. 1186. It seems likely that this organ was the 1868 George W. Earle organ originally in the nearby Spring Street Presbyterian Church, where Möller had installed a new two-manual organ (Op. 1116) in 1909. The Earle organ had mechanical action that controlled two 56-note manuals and a pedal of 25 notes. Möller's handwritten (but undated) contract states that Möller would make any necessary repairs and erect the organ in the church for the sum of $600. The specifications with the contract show that the casing was painted cream white.
A later specification for this organ was recorded on August 22, 1912, by an employee of Louis F. Mohr & Co., a longtime organ service firm in the area. Mohr indicated that the organ was built by George W. Earle, gave the manual and pedal compasses and listed the number of pipes for each stop in the Swell and Pedal. Handwritten notes state that the organ had a detached console, a blower, and 873 pipes. Mohr's specification differs from that given earlier by Möller: the Swell Violin was at 4' (instead of 8') pitch, and there was a Mixture with 44 keys (88 pipes). ----------
db_id => 2358
ip_id => 2358
vp_id => 990
data_source => ip
attn_rqrd => name
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Roman Catholic
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 14399
)