Manhattan — Church of the Most Precious Blood — Little Italy/Chinatown

Categories: Houses of Worship, Religious and Houses of Worship, Roman Catholic

Post Meta Data for post with ID 14378

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Church of the Most Precious Blood
venue_filename => MostPreciousBlood.html
borough => manhattan
neighborhood => Little Italy/Chinatown
vp_title => Catholic Church of the Most Precious Blood - New York City
venue_aka => Most Precious Blood Catholic Church
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">Most Precious Blood Catholic Church</h3> (Little Italy/Chinatown)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Church of the Most Precious Blood</h2>
venue_name_ip => Most Precious Blood Catholic Church (Little Italy/Chinatown)
venue_name_ip_clean => Most Precious Blood Catholic Church
venue_name_vp => Church of the Most Precious Blood
venue_info_ip => 113 Baxter Street, north of Canal Street
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Catholic Church of the Most Precious Blood - New York City <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/MostPreciousBloodExt.jpg" alt="Most Precious Blood Catholic Church - New York City" width="250" > <strong>(Roman Catholic)</strong><br> 109 Mulberry Street<br> New York, N.Y. 10013<br> <a href="https://oldcathedral.org/shrine-church-of-the-most-precious-blood">https://oldcathedral.org/shrine-church-of-the-most-precious-blood</a><br> <td width="175"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/MostPreciousBlood1900Ext.jpg" alt="Most Precious Blood Catholic Church - New York City" width="175" border="0" > The Church of the Most Precious Blood was established in 1888 as a National Parish to serve the rapidly growing number of Italian immigrants in Lower Manhattan. At the time, Italians were not welcomed at other area churches and were relegated to worship and receive sacraments in the basement of other parishes. The Scalabrini Fathers purchased property and began building the Lower Church, designed by William Schickel &amp; Company, in 1891. But within a short time, the Scalabrini Fathers realized that this was indeed a tremendous undertaking, and asked the Archdiocese to relieve them of this burden.<br> In 1894, administration of the church was transferred to the Franciscan Order, who was then building a church dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua on Sullivan Street. The Franciscans agreed to assist with Most Precious Blood Church on one condition: that the debt would first be paid off before efforts began to raise money for the Upper Church. On July 7, 1901, the cornerstone was laid for the Upper Church.<br> <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/MostPreciousBloodInt2.jpg" alt="Most Precious Blood Catholic Church - New York City" width="250" border="0" > The Franciscan Friars soon realized that most of the immigrants from Mulberry Street were from Naples and the vicinity, and in coming to this new land they brought with them their great devotion to <em>St. Januarius,</em> or San Gennaro, the patron saint of Naples. Initially, the Feast of San Gennaro was observed every September 19th with great solemnity, but over the years the event grew to include a procession of the statue through the streets of lower Manhattan, followed by an 11-day street fair.<br> The church was fully renovated in 1995 and reconsecrated on February 7, 1997 by His Eminence, John Cardinal O&#39;Connor. Besides receiving a totally new interior, the beautiful paintings that grace the ceiling and walls of the church were restored by professional artists.
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Bowen, Jonathan: Image of page in F.R. Webber&#39;s &quot;Organ scrapbook.&quot;<br> &quot;Church Cornerstone Laid,&quot; <em>The New York Times</em> (July 8, 1901).<br>Dunlap, David. <em>From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan&#39;s Houses of Worship.</em> New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.<BR> Fox, David H. <em>A Guide to North American Organbuilders (Rev. ed.). </em>Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 1997.<br> Most Previous Blood Church website: <a href="https://oldcathedral.org/shrine-church-of-the-most-precious-blood">https://oldcathedral.org/shrine-church-of-the-most-precious-blood</a><br> Nelson, George. <em>Organs in the United States and Canada Database.</em> Seattle, Wash.<br> Trupiano, Larry. Factory Production Order for M. P. M&ouml;ller Organ, Op. 9944 (1963).<br> Webber, F.R. "Organ scrapbook" at Organ Historical Society Archives, Princeton, N.J. Specifications of Henry Erben organ (1862). Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.<br> Illustrations Most Precious Blood Church website. Interior.<br> waatp.com. Exterior.<br> Wurts Bros. (New York, N.Y.). Exterior (c.1900). Collection of the Museum of the City of New York.
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name"><a href="/Organs/NYC/html/MostPreciousBlood.html">Most Precious Blood Catholic Church</a></h3> (Little Italy/Chinatown)</td> <td>113 Baxter Street, north of Canal Street<br> <div class="organ with_specs">II/4 M.P. M&ouml;ller, Inc., Op. 9944 (1963)</div> <div class="organ with_specs">II/15 Henry Erben (1862) &ndash; moved from St. Clare Catholic Church, 438 W. 36th St.</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 2
num_organs_vp => 4
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <a href="#Moller">II/4 M.P. M&ouml;ller, Inc., Op. 9944</a> (1963) <a href="#Erben">II/15 Henry Erben</a> (1862); rev.
organs_html_ip {html} =>
II/4 M.P. Möller, Inc., Op. 9944 (1963)
II/15 Henry Erben (1862) – moved from St. Clare Catholic Church, 438 W. 36th St.
organs_html_vp {html} =>
II/15 Henry Erben (1862); rev.

ORGAN 2/0 [Erben]

---------- II/15 Henry Erben (1862); rev.----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 1]

8 Diapason 4 Viola
8 Gedeckt
2 2/3
Twelfth
8 Viola 2 Super Octave
4
Octave
8
Trompette
4
Flute
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]


8 Gedeckt
2 2/3
Nazard
8 Viola 2 Flautino
4 Flute 8 Trompette
4 Viola 4 Trompette
---

Pedal Organ – 32 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 3]


16 Bourdon 4 Octave
8 Gedeckt 4 Flute
8
Viola
8
Trompette
5 1/3
Quint 4 Trompette
---

Pre-set Combinations [Organ div no. 4]

Pistons 1-2-3-4 affecting Great Organ
Pistons 1-2-3-4 affecting Swell Organ
---

Pedal Movements [Organ div no. 5]

Balanced Expression Pedal
Balanced Register Crescendo Pedal
---

Accessories [Organ div no. 6]

Crescendo Indicator Light (White)
Motor Indicator Light (Red)
Pipe Analysis
Pipes
8 Diapason 80
16 Bourdon/Gedeckt 92
8
Viola
61
8 Trompette
    61
Total 294
---

ORGAN 3/1 -- M.P. Möller, Inc. [Moller]

----------

M.P. Möller, Inc.

Hagerstown, Md. – Opus 9944 (1963)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 20 registers, 4 stops, 4 ranks
An M.P. Möller Production Order (Dec. 11, 1963) directs that a four-rank "Artiste" model in the Möller Erecting Room be shipped to the Church of the Most Precious Blood and completed before Christmas 1963. The standard Artiste specification was modifed in that the usual Great 2' Fifteenth (from the Viola) was changed to a 2' Super Octave (from the Diapason). ----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 56 notes [Organ div no. 1]

8 Open Diapason 56 4 Octave 56
8 Clarabella 56 3 Twelfth 56
8 Dulciana [TC] 44 2 Fifteenth 56
8 Gamba [TC] 44 8 Trumpet 56
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 56 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]

8 Open Diapason 56 4 Principal 56
8 Stopped Diapason [chimney] 56 4 Flute [chimney] 56
8 Dulciana 56 8 Clarinet 56
---

Pedal Organ – (unknown compass) [Organ div no. 3]

16 Open Diapason ?
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]

Swell to Swell 16', 4' Great to Pedal
Swell to Great 16', 8', 4' Swell to Pedal
Great to Great 16', 4' Pedal octaves
---

ORGAN 4/2 -- Henry Erben [Erben]

----------

Henry Erben

New York City (1862)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 15 stops, 15 ranks
The following specification was recorded on May 12, 1958 by F.R. Webber, whose "Organ Scrapbooks" are in the possession of The Organ Historical Society Archives in Princeton, N.J. Webber's comments included the following notations:
"Robt. Anthony Porto, Brooklyn"
"Originally? in St. Clare's, 34th St." [St. Clare was at 438 West 36th Street]
Anthony Porto was an organbuilder known to be active in Brooklyn in the 1920s. It is possible that Porto rebuilt and electrified the Erben organ, and added the sub- and super-couplers. ----------
db_id => 2337
ip_id => 2337
vp_id => 942
data_source => ip
attn_rqrd => name
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Roman Catholic
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 14378
)