Manhattan — Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle — Harlem

Categories: Houses of Worship, Pentecostal, Religious and Houses of Worship

Post Meta Data for post with ID 14150

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle
venue_filename => EbenezerGospTab.html
borough => manhattan
neighborhood => Harlem
vp_title => Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle - New York City
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle</h3> (Harlem)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle</h2>
venue_name_ip => Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle (Harlem)
venue_name_ip_clean => Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle
venue_name_vp => Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle
venue_info_ip => 221 Malcolm X Boulevard at 121st Street (since 1942) – orig. Lenox Avenue Unitarian Church
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle - New York City <td width="200"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/EbenezerGospTabExt.jpg" alt="Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle - New York City (photo: Steven E. Lawson)" WIDTH="200" border="0" align="right" > 225 Lenox Avenue at 121st Street<br> New York, N.Y. 10027 The Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle has worshiped since 1942 in the edifice built from 1889-91 for the Lenox Avenue Unitarian Church. Charlest B. Atwood designed the Gothic Revival building that seems to be in the Romanesque style but has Gothic details. By 1919, membership at Lenox Avenue Unitarian Church had diminished substantially and the building was sold to Congregation Chebra Ukadisha B&#39;nai Israel (Holy Sons of Israel from Kalwarie, Lithuania) when there was a large population of Jewish immigrants in the area. By the 1940s, much of the Jewish population had moved out of Harlem, and the building returned to Christian worship when it was acquired in 1942 by the Ebenezer Baptist Tabernacle. The church is within the the Mount Morris Park Historic District, designated In 1971 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Dolkart, Andrew S. and Matthew A. Postal. <em>Guide to New York City Landmarks</em> (Third Edition). New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Hoboken: John Wiley &amp; Sons, Inc. 2004.<br> Dunlap, David W. <em>From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan&#39;s Houses of Worship.</em> New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.<br> Mahanor, Tali: Specifications of Reuben Midmer &amp; Sons organ.<br> Photos:<br> Lawson, Steven E. Exterior.
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name"><a href="/Organs/NYC/html/EbenezerGospTab.html">Ebenezer Gospel Tabernacle</a></h3> (Harlem)</td> <td>221 Malcolm X Boulevard at 121st Street (since 1942) &ndash; orig. Lenox Avenue Unitarian Church<br> <div class="organ with_specs">II/12 Reuben Midmer &amp; Sons</div> <div class="organ">II/10 Frank Roosevelt, No. 508 (1891)</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 2
num_organs_vp => 3
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2><a href="#Midmer">II/13 Reuben Midmer &amp; Sons</a>II/10 Frank Roosevelt, Op. 508 (1891)
organs_html_ip {html} =>
II/12 Reuben Midmer & Sons
II/10 Frank Roosevelt, No. 508 (1891)
organs_html_vp {html} =>

Organ Specifications:

II/10 Frank Roosevelt, Op. 508 (1891)

ORGAN 1/0 [Midmer]

----------

Organ Specifications:

II/13 Reuben Midmer & SonsII/10 Frank Roosevelt, Op. 508 (1891)----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes [Organ div no. 1]

8 Open Diapason 61 8 Melodia 61
8 Dulciana 61 4 Octave 61
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
[Organ div no. 2]

8 Violin Diapason 61 8 Stopped Diapason 61
8 Salicional 61 4 Flute Harmonique 61
8 Aeoline 61 8 Oboe 61
8 Vox Celeste 61
---

Pedal Organ – 32 notes
[Organ div no. 3]

16 Bourdon 32
8 Flute 32
---

ORGAN 2/1 -- Reuben Midmer & Sons [Midmer]

----------

Reuben Midmer & Sons


Merrick, N.Y.
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 13 stops, 13 ranks
This organ is extant but unplayable. ----------

ORGAN 3/2 -- Frank Roosevelt [Roosevelt]

----------

Frank Roosevelt


New York City – Opus 508 (1891)
Tracker-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 10 stops
The first known organ at Lenox Unitarian Church was built in 1891 by Frank Roosevelt. Specifications of this organ have not yet been located. ----------
db_id => 2109
ip_id => 2109
vp_id => 759
data_source => ip
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Pentecostal
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 14150
)