Manhattan — Fort Washington Collegiate Church — Washington Heights

Categories: Houses of Worship, Reformed Church in America (Dutch Reformed Church)

Post Meta Data for post with ID 14284

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Fort Washington Collegiate Church
venue_filename => FortWashingtonColl.html
borough => manhattan
neighborhood => Washington Heights
vp_title => Fort Washington Collegiate Church - New York City
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">Fort Washington Collegiate Church</h3> (Washington Heights)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Fort Washington Collegiate Church</h2>
venue_name_ip => Fort Washington Collegiate Church (Washington Heights)
venue_name_ip_clean => Fort Washington Collegiate Church
venue_name_vp => Fort Washington Collegiate Church
venue_info_ip => 729 West 181st Street at Fort Washington Avenue (since 1909)
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Fort Washington Collegiate Church - New York City <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/FortWashingtonCollExt.jpg" alt="Fort Washington Collegiate Church - New York City" width="250" > (Reformed Church in America) 729 West 181st Street at Fort Washington Avenue<br> New York, N.Y. 10033<br> <a href="http://www.fortwashingtonchurch.org/" target="_blank">http://www.fortwashingtonchurch.org/</a><br> The property that Fort Washington Collegiate is on was at one time part of the estate of James Gordon Bennett, publisher of the New York Herald.&nbsp; Bennett purchased the land from the estate of Richard Carman in 1871.&nbsp; Carman had passed away in 1867 and his sons sold off the vast properties owned by their father. James Gordon Bennett, Jr., inherited the Herald and the property the following year.&nbsp; James Jr., for a time, lived on the estate and passed away in 1918 in France.&nbsp; The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation acquired the property from the Bennett estate and opened it as a public park on July 18, 1928. The original entrance and driveway of the Bennett estate known as Bennett Lane started at 181st Street and Colonel Robert Magaw Place going to 183rd Street and then west to Fort Washington Avenue.&nbsp; The wrought iron gate of the Bennett estate was salvaged by sculptor George Grey Barnard owner of the original collection of medieval art which would eventually become the foundation of the Cloisters Museum in Fort Tryon Park.&nbsp; Barnard&#39;s studio and collection was housed in a building on 190th Street and Fort Washington Avenue. The Fort Washington Collegiate Church is a member congregation of the Reformed Church of America.&nbsp; It serves New York City along with other Reformed Church of America congregations such as Marble Collegiate Church on Fifth Avenue and 29th Street, West End Collegiate Church on West End Avenue and 77th Street, middle Collegiate Church on Second Avenue and East 7th Street.&nbsp; One of the most famous ministers of the Reformed Church in New York City was Norman Vincent Peale who was pastor at Marble Collegiate. Fort Washington Collegiate was constructed in 1909 of brick in the fashion of a quaint English church.&nbsp; The land it is on was owned by the West End Collegiate Church.&nbsp; The Parish House which shares the site was located at what is now 4232 Broadway in a rented storefront which was a convenient place to meet for the parish. <p>The grounds of the church are well manicured and surrounded by a well appointed flower garden.&nbsp; The property has a fieldstone wall adorned by an iron fence.&nbsp; Above the entrance of the church is a Celtic cross that is lit at night. <br> HARLEM ONE Stop: In 1902 the Consistory of the Collegiate Church purchased the land on which the <strong>Ft. Washington Church</strong> now stands. On May 4, 1905 a reccomendation was made that a portion of the plot be sold and the proceeds be used for the erection of a chapel. On December 8, 1908 the cornersone was laid, and the new building was occupied for the first time on February 28, 1909. <br> Fort Washington Collegiate Church (1908&ndash;09)<br> Architect: Nelson &amp; Van Wagenen<br> The Fort Washington Collegiate Church at 470 Fort Washington Avenue began as an outreach of the West End Collegiate Church. The church was built in 1908-09 and was designed by the firm of Nelson &amp; Van Wagenen in the Country Gothic style. In 1916, it became a full member of the Collegiate Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, along with the Marble, middle and West End Collegiate Churches. It incorporates the congregation of the Hamilton Grange Reformed Church and former members of the Harlem Reformed Dutch Church.</p>
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Dunlap, David W. <em>From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan&#39;s Houses of Worship.</em> New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.<br> Fort Washington Collegiate Church web site: <a href="http://www.fortwashingtonchurch.org/" target="_blank">http://www.fortwashingtonchurch.org/</a><br> Organ Historical Society (Princeton, N.J.). Pilcher Specification Book No. 7, pp. 78-79. Specification of Henry Pilcher&#39;s Sons organ, Op. 1559 (1932). Courtesy Bynum Petty, Archivist.<br> Renner, James. &quot;Fort Washington Collegiate Church.&quot; <a href="http://www.hhoc.org/hist/ftcollegiatechrch.htm" target="_blank">http://www.hhoc.org/hist/ftcollegiatechrch.htm</a><br> Illustration Wikipedia.org. (credit: Beyond My Ken). Exterior (2013).
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name"><a href="/Organs/NYC/html/FortWashingtonColl.html">Fort Washington Collegiate Church</a></h3> (Washington Heights)</td> <td>729 West 181st Street at Fort Washington Avenue (since 1909)<br> <div class="organ">Allen Organ Company electronic</div> <div class="organ with_specs">II/13 Henry Pilcher&#39;s Sons, Op. 1559 (1932)</div> <div class="organ">Hillgreen, Lane &amp; Co.</div> <div class="organ">Hinners (c.1909)</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 4
num_organs_vp => 8
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> Allen Organ Company electronic <a href="#Pilcher">II/13 Henry Pilcher&#39;s Sons, Op. 1559</a> (1932) Hillgreen, Lane &amp; Co. Hinners (c.1909)
organs_html_ip {html} =>
Allen Organ Company electronic
II/13 Henry Pilcher's Sons, Op. 1559 (1932)
Hillgreen, Lane & Co.
Hinners (c.1909)
organs_html_vp {html} =>
Allen Organ Company electronic
Hillgreen, Lane & Co.
Hinners (c.1909)

ORGAN 4/0

---------- Hinners (c.1909)----------

ORGAN 5/1 -- Allen Organ Company [Allen]

----------

Allen Organ Company

Macungie, Penn.
Electronic tonal production
Specifications of this organ have not yet been located. ----------

Great Organ [Organ div no. 1]

(Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
Open Diapason
61
4
Hohl Flute
61
8
Gamba
61
Chimes (Deagan)
20 bells
8
Dulciana
61
Tremolo
8
Melodia
61
---

Swell Organ [Organ div no. 2]

(Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed
8
Violin Diapason
73
4
Flute
73
8
Salicional
73
8
Oboe
73
8
Gedeckt
73
Chimes
8
Aeoline
73
Tremolo
8
Quintadena
73
---

Pedal [Organ div no. 3]

– 32 notes
16
Bourdon
32
8
Flute
SW
16
Lieblich Gedeckt (ext. SW)
12
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]

Great to Pedal 8, 4 Great to Great 16, 4
Swell to Pedal 8 Great Separation
Swell to Great 16, 8, 4 Swell to Swell 16, 4, Unison Off
---

Adjustable Combinations [Organ div no. 5]

Great Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4
Swell Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4
Pedal Organ Pistons 1-2-3
General Cancel
---

Pedal Movements [Organ div no. 6]

Great Expression Pedal Great to Pedal (reversible)
Swell Expression Pedal Sforzando
Crescendo Pedal
---

ORGAN 6/2 -- Henry Pilcher's Sons [Pilcher]

----------

Henry Pilcher's Sons

Louisville, Ky. – Opus 1559 (1932)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 15 registers, 13 stops, 13 ranks
In 1932, the church commissioned Henry Pilcher's Sons of Louisville, Ky., to rebuild the existing organ built by Hillgreen, Lane & Co. The organ was equipped with electro-pneumatic action and a movable console. Completed in April 1932, the cost of this contract was $4,250. ----------

ORGAN 7/3 -- Hillgreen, Lane & Co. [HillgreenLane]

----------

Hillgreen, Lane & Co.

Alliance, Ohio
Tubular-pneumatic action?
2 manuals
Specifications of this organ have not yet been located. ----------

ORGAN 8/4 -- Hinners Organ Co. [Hinners]

----------

Hinners Organ Co.

Pekin, Ill. (c.1909)
Mechanical action?
2 manuals?
Specifications of this organ have not yet been located. ----------
db_id => 2243
ip_id => 2243
vp_id => 804
data_source => ip
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Reformed Church in America
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 14284
)