Manhattan — Grace Congregational Church — Harlem

Categories: Houses of Worship, United Church of Christ (UCC)

Post Meta Data for post with ID 14520

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Grace Congregational Church
venue_filename => GraceCong.html
borough => manhattan
neighborhood => Harlem
vp_title => Grace Congregational Church (UCC) - New York City
venue_aka => Grace Congregational Church of Harlem
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">Grace Congregational Church of Harlem</h3> (Harlem)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Grace Congregational Church</h2>
venue_name_ip => Grace Congregational Church of Harlem (Harlem)
venue_name_ip_clean => Grace Congregational Church of Harlem
venue_name_vp => Grace Congregational Church
venue_info_ip => 310 West 139th Street (since 1923) – orig. Lenox Presbyterian Church
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Grace Congregational Church (UCC) - New York City <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/NYC/img/GraceCongExt.jpg" alt="Grace Congregational Church (UCC) - New York City" width="250" > <strong>(United Church of Christ)</strong><br> 310 West 139th Street<br> New York, N.Y. 10030 <br> <a href="http://gracecongregationalucc.org/" target="_blank">http://gracecongregationalucc.org/</a><br> Grace Congregational Church dates back to the fall of 1920, when a group of Congregationalist leaders came together at the request of the New York Congregational Conference to discuss the possibility of organizing a Congregational church in Harlem. In June 1921, the Rev. Alexander C. Garner was called from Plymouth Congregational Church in Washington, D.C., to accept the responsibility of gathering members, organizing them and developing a Congregational church.&nbsp;Early meetings with about 30 persons were held in the auditorium of the 137th Street YMCA. The fledgling group eventually merged with the Harlem Latter-day Congregational Church at 250 West 136th Street, and the combined congregations were known as The Grace Congregational Church of Harlem. In 1923, the society purchased the former Swedish Immanuel Congregational Church, located at 310 West 139th Street. Designed by Joseph Ireland, this plain brick structure was built in 1892 for the Lenox Presbyterian Church, who remained there until 1905 when they moved to 141st Street and St. Nicholas Avenue. <p>Since its beginning, Grace Congregational Church has been noted for its ministry to actors and musicians. Today the congregational is affiliated with the United Church of Christ.</p>
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Dunlap, David W. <em>From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan&#39;s Houses of Worship.</em> New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.<br> Grace Congregational Church web site: <a href="http://gracecongregationalucc.org/" target="_blank">http://gracecongregationalucc.org/</a><br> Organ Historical Society Archives. Factory Specification (July 1, 1909) of Hillgreen, Lane &amp; Co. organ, Op. 209. Courtesy Bynum Petty.<br> Schantz Organ Company. Factory Specification (July 8, 1982) of Schantz Organ, Op. 1719. Courtesy Jeff Scofield.<br> Illustration Google.com. Street image (2011).
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name"><a href="/Organs/NYC/html/GraceCong.html">Grace Congregational Church of Harlem</a></h3> (Harlem)</td> <td>310 West 139th Street (since 1923) &ndash; orig. Lenox Presbyterian Church<br> <div class="organ with_specs">II/12 Schantz Organ Company, Op. 1719 (1982)</div> <div class="organ with_specs">II/10 Hillgreen, Lane &amp; Co., Op. 209 (1909)</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 2
num_organs_vp => 4
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <a href="#Schantz">II/12 Schantz Organ Company, Op. 1719</a> (1982) <a href="#HillgreenLane">II/10 Hillgreen, Lane &amp; Co., Op. 209</a> (1909)
organs_html_ip {html} =>
II/12 Schantz Organ Company, Op. 1719 (1982)
II/10 Hillgreen, Lane & Co., Op. 209 (1909)
organs_html_vp {html} =>

ORGAN 2/0 [HillgreenLane]

---------- II/10 Hillgreen, Lane & Co., Op. 209 (1909)----------

Great Organ (ManualI) – 61 notes, unenclosed (3" pressure) [Organ div no. 1]

8 Bourdon 61 Chimes (from previous organ)
4 Octave 61 Great 16'
2 Octavin 61 Great Unison Off
Mixture III ranks
183
Great 4'
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed (3" pressure) [Organ div no. 2]

8 Spitzflöte 61 8 Trompette 61
8 Celeste [TC] 49 Tremulant
4 Koppelgedeckt 73 Swell 16'
2 Flöte [ext. 4'] Swell Unison Off
1 1/3
Quinteflöte
61
Swell 4'
---

Pedal Organ – 32 notes (3" pressure) [Organ div no. 3]

16 Bourdon * [ext. GT] 12 8 Bourdon GT
8 Principal * 44 4 Choralbasse [ext. Principal]
* partially exposed
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]

Great to Pedal 8', 4' Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
Swell to Pedal 8', 4' Great to Swell 8'
---

Adjustable Combinations [Organ div no. 5]

Great Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
Swell Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb)
Pedal Pistons 1-2-3-4 (toe)
General Pistons 1-2-3-4 (thumb & toe)
General Cancel (thumb)
---

Pedal Movements [Organ div no. 6]

Balanced Swell Pedal Great to Pedal Reversible
Crescendo Pedal Sforzando Reversible
---

Accessories [Organ div no. 7]

Lights for: Indicator Lights:
Music Rack WInd
Pedal Keyboard Crescendo
Sforzando
---

ORGAN 3/1 -- Schantz Organ Company [Schantz]

----------

Schantz Organ Company

Orrville, Ohio – Opus 1719 (1982)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 10 stops, 12 ranks
In 1982, the Schantz Organ Company installed a new organ, controlled by a two-manual console with tilting tablets. ----------

Great Organ (ManualI) –61 notes [Organ div no. 1]

8
Open Diapason 61 8 Melodia 61
8
Dulciana 61 4 Gemshorn 61
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) –61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]

8
Violin Diapason
61
4
Rohr Floete
61
8
Salicional
61
8 Oboe-Gamba [TC] 49
8
Gedeckt
61
Tremulant
---

Pedal Organ –30 notes (Augmented) [Organ div no. 3]

16
Bourdon
42
8
Flute [ext. 16']
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]

Great to Pedal 8' Great to Great 4'
Swell to Pedal 8' Swell to Swell 16', 4'
Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
---

Piston Combinations [Organ div no. 5]

(each drawing an appropriate Pedal support)
Great Organ Forte Swell Organ Forte
Great Organ Mezzo Swell Organ Mezzo
Great Organ Piano Swell Organ Piano
---

Mechanicals [Organ div no. 6]

Swell Tremulant Crescendo Dial
Wind Indicator Coupler Cancel (piston)
---

Pedal Movements [Organ div no. 7]

Balanced Swell Pedal Great to Pedal Reversible
Crescendo & Diminuendo Pedal
---

ORGAN 4/2 -- Hillgreen, Lane & Co. [Odell]

----------

Hillgreen, Lane & Co.

Alliance, Ohio – Opus 209 (1909)
Mechanical key action
Tubular-pneumatic action for pedal, couplers, and stops
2 manuals, 10 stops, 10 ranks
When Grace Congregational Church purchased the building from the Swedish Immanuel Church in 1923, the sale included the organ that was built in 1909 by Hillgreen, Lane & Co., of Alliance, Ohio. This organ was the firm's Model No. 3, having mechanical key action for the manuals, and tubular-pneumatic action for the pedal, couplers and stops. ----------
db_id => 2479
ip_id => 2479
vp_id => 824
data_source => ip
attn_rqrd => dupe
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => United Church of Christ
admin_tags_tmp => dupes
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 14520
)