Manhattan — Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church — Gramercy Park

Categories: Houses of Worship, Methodist (including A.M.E., A.M.E. Zion, Methodist Episcopal, United & Wesleyan)

Post Meta Data for post with ID 14080

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church
venue_filename => HeddingMeth.html
borough => manhattan
neighborhood => Gramercy Park
venue_status => NE
vp_title => Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church - New York City
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church</h3> <span class="non_extant">NE</span> (Gramercy Park)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church</h2>
venue_name_ip => Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church NE (Gramercy Park)
venue_name_ip_clean => Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church
venue_name_vp => Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church
venue_info_ip => 337 East 17th Street (1854-1918)
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church - New York City 337 East 17th Street<br> New York, N.Y. 10003<br> In May 1848, the Ladies Mission Society founded a mission on Seventeenth Street, between First and Second Avenues near Stuyvesant Square. At the time, the area was far uptown and success of the mission was uncertain. In 1849, the mission became the Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church, named for the Rev. Elijah Hedding (1780-1852), a prominent Methodist bishop. Within a few years the neighborhood was developed as city residents continued their northward migration and the society gained financial strength. On December 6, 1852, the cornerstone was laid for a new church, described as &quot;a substantial brick edifice, with stone front, 55 feet by 85 deep.&quot; The imposing Neoclassical building could accomodate 1,500 persons and was dedicated in 1854.<br> Hedding Methodist disbanded in 1918 and the site was acquired by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, a Catholic organization.
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> <em>American Musical Directory.</em> New York: Thomas Hutchinson, 1861.<br> &quot;An Antique Organ,&quot; <em>The New-York Recorder</em> (date unknown). Background and description of George Jardine organ. Courtesy Larry Trupiano.<br> &quot;Birthday of a Church,&quot; <em>The New York Times</em> (Nov. 10, 1884).<br> Dunlap, David W. <em>From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan&#39;s Houses of Worship.</em> New York: Columbia University Press, 2004.<br> &quot;Grand Concert and Organ Exhibition: A New Organ, Built by J.H. &amp; C.S. Odell...,&quot; s.n. 1862.<br> &quot;Laying the Corner Stone of a New Church,&quot; <em>The New York Times</em> (Dec. 8, 1852).<br> Mohr, Louis F. &amp; Co. Specifications (Apr. 4, 1918) of J.H. &amp; C.S. Odell organ, Op. 8 (c.1861). Courtesy Larry Trupiano.<br> Illustration <em>The New-York Recorder</em> (date unknown). Exterior.
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name"><a href="/Organs/NYC/html/HeddingMeth.html">Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church</a></h3> <span class="non_extant">NE</span> (Gramercy Park)</td> <td>337 East 17th Street (1854-1918)<br> <div class="organ with_specs">II/17 J.H. &amp; C.S. Odell &amp; Co., Op. 8 (1861)</div> <div class="organ">II/30 George Jardine (1837) &ndash; orig. in First Presbyterian, Jersey City; moved (1850)</div> <div class="organ">II/14 Carhart &amp; Needham</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 3
num_organs_vp => 6
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <a href="#Odell">II/17 J.H. &amp; C.S. Odell, Op. 8</a> (1861) II/14 Carhart &amp; Needham II/30 George Jardine (1837); inst. (1850)
organs_html_ip {html} =>
II/17 J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co., Op. 8 (1861)
II/30 George Jardine (1837) – orig. in First Presbyterian, Jersey City; moved (1850)
II/14 Carhart & Needham
organs_html_vp {html} =>
II/14 Carhart & Needham
II/30 George Jardine (1837); inst. (1850)

ORGAN 3/0

---------- II/30 George Jardine (1837); inst. (1850)----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 54 keys [Organ div no. 1]

8 Open Diapason
2 2/3
Twelfth
8 St. Diapason Treble 2 Fifteenth
8 St. Diapason Bass Sesquialtera (3 ranks?)
4 Flute 8 Trumpet
4 Principal
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 54 keys, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]

8 Open Diapason 4 Principal [Treble]
8 St. Diapason 4 Principal (Choir) [Bass]
8 St. Diapason Bass 2 Fifteenth
8 Dulciana 8 Oboe
---

Pedal Organ – 25 keys [Organ div no. 3]

16 Double Open Diapason
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]

Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Swell to Great
---

Pedal Movements [Organ div no. 5]

Balanced Swell Pedal
---

ORGAN 4/1 -- J.H. & C.S. Odell [Odell]

----------

J.H. & C.S. Odell

New York City – Opus 8 (1861)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 15 stops, 17 ranks
The following specification for "17th St. M.E. Church, New York City" was recorded (April 15, 1918) by Louis F. Mohr & Co., and organ service firm in the area. Mohr noted that manuals had 54 pipes [keys] and the pedal had 25 pipes. The painted oak case measured 13 feet 8 inches wide by 11 feet 10 inches deep by 18 feet high and had 17 front pipes in gold. Mohr's typed sheet had a handwritten addition: "Taken down 6/24."
An internet search found a four-page booklet published in 1862 with the text: "Grand concert and organ exhibition: A new organ, built by J.H. & C.S. Odell, No. 163 Seventh-Avenue, New-York, will be exhibited at the Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church (Dr. Abel Stevens, pastor) 17th-Street, between 1st and 2nd Avenues, on Friday evening, January 31, 1862." No further information about this booklet is available. ----------

ORGAN 5/2 -- Carhart & Needham [CarhartNeedham]

----------

Carhart & Needham

New York City
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 14 stops
According to the American Musical Directory of 1861, this organ had "2 banks keys, 14 stops (sets of reeds), 1½ octaves pedals" and was "Built by Carhart & Needham, under the supervision of Dr. Ringer [organist of the church]." It is known that Carhart & Needham manufactured reed organs and melodians. No further information has been found on this organ. ----------

ORGAN 6/3 -- George Jardine [Jardine]

---------- George Jardine organ (1837) in Hedding M.E. Church - New York City (The New-York Recorder)

George Jardine

New York City (1837); inst. (c.1852)
Mechanical action
2 manuals, 30 stops
The first organ for Hedding M.E. Church was built by George Jardine in 1837 for the First Presbyterian Church of Jersey City, N.J. However, before setting up the organ in the church, Jardine exhibited the organ in the American Institute Fair of 1838 that took place in Niblo's Garden, New York City, where it won the gold medal. In 1850, the Jersey City church was torn down and the organ was sold to the Hedding M.E. Society, who had it installed in the rear gallery. At some point the organ was moved to the front of the church and installed behind the platform, as show in the image at right. Specifications of this organ have not yet been located. ----------
db_id => 2039
ip_id => 2039
vp_id => 846
data_source => ip
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Methodist
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 14080
)