Queens — Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians — Woodside

Categories: Religious & Houses of Worship, Religious and Houses of Worship, Roman Catholic

Post Meta Data for post with ID 15264

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians
venue_filename => BVMHelpofChristians.html
borough => queens
neighborhood => Woodside
vp_title => Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians R.C. Church - Woodside (Queens), N.Y.
venue_aka => Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church</h3> (Woodside)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians</h2>
venue_name_ip => Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church (Woodside)
venue_name_ip_clean => Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church
venue_name_vp => Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians
venue_info_ip {html} =>
70-31 48th Avenue&nbsp; &ndash; orig. known as St. Mary&#39;s, Winfield Junction<br> <em>Present building</em> (since c.1940)<br> <em>Second building</em> (c.1868-c.1940)<br> <em>First building</em> (1855-burned 1868)
venue_info_vp {html} =>
Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians R.C. Church - Woodside (Queens), N.Y. <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/Qns/img/BVMHelpofChristiansExt.jpg" alt="Holy Cross Catholic Church - Maspeth (Queens), N.Y." width="250" > <strong>(Roman Catholic)</strong><br> 70-31 48th Avenue<br> Woodside (Queens), N.Y. 11377<br> <a href="http://www.parishesonline.com/SCRIPTS/HOSTEDSITES/Org.asp?ID=10941" target="_blank">web site</a><br> <td width="200"><img src="/Organs/Qns/img/StMaryWinfieldExt.jpg" alt="St. Mary&#39;s Catholic Church - Winfield, L.I." width="200" > The parish known today as Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church was established by Bishop Loughlin in 1854 to serve German Catholics in Winfield, L.I., the same year the town was founded. That same year a Mr. Anderson presented two lots to the bishop with the understanding that they would be used for solely for church purposes. This term was accepted and in 1855 the first St. Mary&#39;s Church building was erected on the plot at Madison Avenue and Franklin (now 48th Avenue and 70th Street). At the time the area was known as Winfield (or Winfield Junction for the train station), Long Island. A rectory and school were built to support the new parish.<br> In 1868 a fire destroyed the church, school and rectory. Fortunately, the buildings were insured and soon replaced. About this time, the parish name was changed to &quot;St. Mary&#39;s Winfield&quot; to distinguish it from St. Mary&#39;s in Long Island City that was founded in 1868.<br> The present church building seems to date from the 1930s, perhaps contemporary with the installation of the M.P. M&ouml;ller organ.<br> Sometime in the 19th century the town of Winfield was incorporated into Woodside.
venue_sources {html} =>
<span class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Blessed Virgin Mary Help of Christians Church <a href="http://www.parishesonline.com/SCRIPTS/HOSTEDSITES/Org.asp?ID=10941" target="_blank">web site</a><br> <em>The Catholic Church in the United States of America: Undertaken to Celebrate the Golden Jubilee of His Holiness, Pope Pius X, Vol. III.</em> New York: The Catholic Editing Company, 1914.<br> Forgotten New York web site: <a href="http://forgotten-ny.com/2004/12/the-general-and-queens/" target="_blank">http://forgotten-ny.com/2004/12/the-general-and-queens/</a><br> Organ Historical Society Archives (Princeton, N.J.). Factory Specifications (Mar. 5, 1940) of M.P. M&ouml;ller organ, Op. 6873. Courtesy Bynum Petty via Jeff Scofield.<br> Illustration Blessed Virgin Mary Help of Christians Church web site. Exterior.<br> Forgotten New York web site. Undated drawing of early church.</span>
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name"><a href="/Organs/Qns/html/BVMHelpofChristians.html">Blessed Virgin Mary, Help of Christians Catholic Church</a></h3> (Woodside)</td> <td>70-31 48th Avenue&nbsp; &ndash; orig. known as St. Mary&#39;s, Winfield Junction<br> <em>Present building</em> (since c.1940)<br> <div class="organ with_specs">II/7 M.P. M&ouml;ller, Inc., Op. 6873 (1940)</div> <em>Second building</em> (c.1868-c.1940)<br> <div class="organ">A.B. Felgemaker, Op. 554 (1892)</div> <em>First building</em> (1855-burned 1868)<br> <div class="organ">unknown</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 3
num_organs_vp => 5
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <em>Present building</em> (since c.1940)<br> <a href="#Moller">II/7 M.P. M&ouml;ller, Inc., Op. 6873</a> (1940) <em>Second building</em> (c.1868-c.1940)<br> A.B. Felgemaker, Op. 554 (1892) <em>First building</em> (1855-burned 1868)<br> unknown
organs_html_ip {html} =>
II/7 M.P. Möller, Inc., Op. 6873 (1940)
A.B. Felgemaker, Op. 554 (1892)
unknown
organs_html_vp {html} =>
A.B. Felgemaker, Op. 554 (1892)
unknown

ORGAN 3/0

---------- unknown ----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 1]


8 Open Diapason 73 2 Super Octave [orig. 4' Oct. Gems.]
8
Wald Flute
73
Tremolo
4
Octave [orig. 8' Gemshorn]
73
Chimes
21 tubes
4
Flute [from 8']
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]


16 Lieblich Gedeckt [unit] 97
2 2/3
Nazard [from 16']
8
Gedeckt [from 16']
2
Flautina [from 16']
8
Viola
73
8
Oboe (Syn.)
4
Octave Viola [from 8']
8
Muted Trumpet
73
4
Flute d'Amour [from 16']
Tremolo
---

Pedal Organ – 32 notes [Organ div no. 3]


16
Bourdon
44
8
Flute [from 16' Bourdon]
16
Lieblich Gedeckt
SW
8
Gedeckt
SW
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]


Great to Pedal 8', 4' Great to Great 16', 8' (Unison), 4'
Swell to Pedal 8', 4' Swell to Swell 16', 8' (Unison), 4'
Swell to Great 16', 8', 4'
---

Adjustable Combinations [Organ div no. 5]


Great and Pedal Stops Pistons 1-2-3-4
Swell and Pedal Stops Pistons 1-2-3-4
Entire Organ Pistons 1-2-3-4
General Cancel Piston
---

Accessories [Organ div no. 6]


Balanced Swell Expression Pedal Sforzando Pedal & Piston *
Balanced Great Expression Pedal Great to Pedal Reversible
Balanaced Crescendo Pedal *
* with indicator lights
---

ORGAN 4/1 -- M.P. Möller, Inc. [Moller]

----------

M.P. Möller, Inc.

Hagerstown, Md. – Opus 6873 (1940)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 18 stops, 7 ranks
The Factory Specifications (Mar. 5, 1940) show that M.P. Möller of Hagerstown, Md., built a new organ having two manuals and seven ranks. Möller provided a detached drawknob console, plus a case and grille. The entire organ was enclosed and voiced on 4" wind pressure. Möller indicated that the organ would be completed by July 1, 1940.
At an unknown time, the original Great Organ 8' Gemshorn and 4' Octave Gemshorn (a 73-pipe unit stop) was replaced by the 73-pipe 4' Octave with its 2' Super Octave extension. ----------

ORGAN 5/2 -- A.B. Felgemaker [Felgemaker]

---------- Organ in the second church building:

A.B. Felgemaker

Buffalo, N.Y. – Opus 554 (1892)
Machanical action?
The second church building had an organ built in 1892 by A.B. Felgemaker of Buffalo. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located. ----------
db_id => 3223
ip_id => 3223
vp_id => 1410
data_source => ip
attn_rqrd => name
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Roman Catholic
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 15264
)