Queens — First Congregational Church — Woodhaven

Categories: Congregational (see also United Church of Christ listings), Religious & Houses of Worship

Post Meta Data for post with ID 15038

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => First Congregational Church
borough => queens
neighborhood => Woodhaven
vp_title => First Congregational Church - Flushing (Queens), N.Y.
venue_name_with_markup_ip {html} =>
<h3 class="venue_name">First Congregational Church</h3> (Woodhaven)
venue_name_with_markup_vp {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">First Congregational Church</h2>
venue_name_ip => First Congregational Church (Woodhaven)
venue_name_ip_clean => First Congregational Church
venue_name_vp => First Congregational Church
venue_info_ip => 94th Street near 97th Avenue (1866-?)
venue_info_vp {html} =>
First Congregational Church - Flushing (Queens), N.Y. <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/Qns/img/FirstCongFlushing1909PC.jpg" alt="1909 Postcard of The Congregational Church in Flushing (Queens), New York" width="250" border="0" > Roosevelt Avenue<br> Flushing (Queens), N.Y. 11354<br> In 1851, a number of persons withdrew their membership from the Protestant Reformed Dutch Church of Flushing and joined with others in forming the first Congregational Church of Flushing. The first church was located where the high-rise Flushing House retirement home is now located, just across the street from the Reformed Church. In 1974, one hundred and twenty-three years after they split, the two congregations merged back together and formed The Bowne Street Community Church &ndash; associated with both the United Church of Christ and the Reformed Church in America. Shortly after the two congregations had started meeting together but before the final incorporation of The Bowne Street Community Church, the Congregational Church was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1970. The reason the two churches merged was the changing character of Flushing. During the 1930s through the 1950s, the neighborhood had been predominantly white Anglo-Saxon Protestant and both churches had large, active congregations. During the sixties and seventies, Flushing began to become home to what is now one of the largest Asian populations in the United States. The resulting decline in membership of both congregations was the stimulus for the merger.<br> See also the <a href="/Organs/Qns/html/BowneStComm.html">Bowne Street Community Church</a>.
venue_sources {html} =>
<div class="blockquote">Flushing, L.I., November 19&mdash;&quot;The new $6,000 organ which has just been installed in the First Congregational Church here will be heard for the first time to-morrow, when special services will be held. The pastor, the Rev. John Abbott French, will officiate. An excellent programme of music has been arranged for this occasion by James W. Treadwell, choirmaster and organist of the church. The new organ was built by J.H. &amp; C.S. Odell &amp; Co. of Manhattan, and will be operated by the pneumatic system which permits the use of any desired number of mechanical accessories, and of all the resources of the organ, without changing the resistance of the keys. The keyboard stands at some distance in front and to one side of the organ, the pipes, sliders, etc., being operated by means of 200 tubes of block tin connecting each manual or pedal key and draw stop of the console with various parts of the organ. There are in all 1,188 speaking pipes, controlled by 19 draw stops, and various mechanical accessories. The organ is blown by a water motor.<br> &quot;The front of the organ extends entirely across the new arched recess behind the pulpit, a width of 25 feet. The case is of oak, and the front pipes are finished in gold and silver tones. The diapason tone of this organ is full, rich and mellow.&quot; The specifications for the Odell organ were recorded by Lynnwood Farnam (1885-1930), noted concert organist of the early 20th century, who kept &quot;organ notebooks&quot; with details of various organs he played or visited. Farnam included these comments: &quot;All stops go &#39;through&#39; &quot; and &quot;Reeds and mixtures unpleasant, otherwise effective.&quot; <td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Bowne Street Community Church website: <a href="http://thebscc.org">http://thebscc.org</a><br> Farnam, Lynnwood. &quot;Organ Notebook&quot; page with specifications of J.H. &amp; C.S&gt; Odell organ, Op. 354. John de Lancie Library, The Curtis Institute of Music, Philadelphia; Sally Branca, archivist. Courtesy Jonathan Bowen.<br> &quot;Flushing Church Orders Three-Manual From Austin,&quot; <em>The Diapason</em> (Jan. 1951). Stoplist of Austin Organ, Op. 2164 (1951). Courtesy Jeff Scofield.<br> Nelson, George. <em>Organs in the United States and Canada Database.</em> Seattle, Wash.<br> Ochse, Orpha. <em>Austin Organs.</em> Richmond: The Organ Historical Society, 2001.<br> J.H. &amp; C.S. Odell &amp; Co. Opus list, compiled by Sand Lawn; courtesy David Scribner.<br> &quot;Two New Organs to be Dedicated in Flushing,&quot; <em>The Brooklyn Eagle,</em> Nov. 20, 1898.<br> Illustration eBay.com. 1909 postcard of the Congregational Church of Flushing.
venue_html_ip {html} =>
<td><h3 class="venue_name">First Congregational Church</h3> (Woodhaven)</td> <td>94th Street near 97th Avenue (1866-?) <br> <div class="organ">II/18 Hook &amp; Hastings, Op. 1444 (1890)</div></td>
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_ip => 1
num_organs_vp => 6
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <a href="#Austin">III/27 Austin Organs Inc., Op. 2164</a> (1951) <a href="#Odell">II/21 J.H. &amp; C. S. Odell &amp; Co., Op. 354</a> (1898) William H. Davis (1875)
organs_html_ip {html} =>
II/18 Hook & Hastings, Op. 1444 (1890)
organs_html_vp {html} =>
William H. Davis (1875)

ORGAN 3/0

---------- William H. Davis (1875)----------

Great Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes [Organ div no. 1]


8 Open Diapason 68
2 2/3
Twelfth 61
8
Diapason Conique
preparation
2
Fifteenth
61
8
Harmonic Flute
68
Mixture III ranks
183
4
Octave
68
Chimes
---

Swell Organ (Manual III) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]


8 Geigen 68 4 Fugara 68
8 Melodia 68 4 Chimney Flute 68
8 Salicional 68 8 Trumpet 68
8
Voix Celeste
68
4
Clarion
68
8
Dolce
68
8
Vox Humana
preparation
8
Dolce Celeste (TC)
56
Tremolo
---

Choir Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 3]


8
Gemshorn
68
1 3/5
Tierce
61
8
Bourdon
68
8
Clarinet
68
4
Flute
68
4
English Horn
68
2 2/3
Nasard
61
Tremolo
2
Block Flöte
61
---

Pedal Organ – 32 notes [Organ div no. 4]


16 Open Diapason 56 8 Gedeckt CH
16
Gedeckt (ext. CH)
12
4
Super Octave (fr. 16' OD)
16
Gemshorn
CH
16
Trumpet (ext. SW)
12
8
Octave (fr. 16' OD)
---

ORGAN 4/1 -- Austin Organs Inc. [Austin]

----------

Austin Organs Inc.

Hartford, Conn. – Opus 2164 (1951)
Electro-pneumatic action
3 manuals, 31 stops, 27 ranks
The last organ to be installed in the First Congregational Church was the principal feature of the church's centennial celebration in 1951. It was given as memorial to the Rev. George Drew Egbert, minister of the church for nearly a third of its existence. Built by Austin Organs of Hartford, Conn., the three-manual organ was installed behind a case that extended across the east end of the sanctuary. Frank Cunkle of New York City was the organist and musical director at the time. This organ burned with the church in 1970. ----------

ORGAN 5/2 -- J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co. [Odell]

----------

J.H. & C.S. Odell & Co.

New York City – Opus 354 (1898)
Tubular-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 19 stops, 21 ranks
In March 1898, the church sanctuary was closed for a thorough renovation costing $17,000. When completed, the redecorated church enjoyed new stained glass windows, pews and chancel furnishings. An article in The Brooklyn Eagle (Nov. 20, 1898) described the new organ: ----------

Great Organ (Manual I) – 61 notes [Organ div no. 1]


8 Open Diapason 61 4 Harmonic Flute 61
8
Gamba
61
4
Principal
61
8
Dulciana
61
2
Fifteenth
61
8
Melodia
61
Chimes (sep. enc.) 20 tubes
---

Swell Organ (Manual II) – 61 notes, enclosed [Organ div no. 2]


16 Bourdon 61 4 Rohr Flöte 61
8 Open Diapason 61 Dolce Cornet III ranks 183
8 Salicional 61 8 Cornopean 61
8
Aeoline
61
8
Oboe
61
8
Stopped Diapason
61
---

Pedal Organ – 30 notes [Organ div no. 3]


16 Open Diapason 30 8 Violoncello 30
16
Bourdon
30
---

Couplers [Organ div no. 4]


Swell to Pedal Tremulant
Great to Pedal Bellows Signal
Swell to Great 8', 4'
---

Pedal Movements [Organ div no. 5]


2 composition pedals to Swell Tremulant
2 composition pedals to Great Swell to Great Reversible
Balanced swell-pedal to Swell Great to Pedal Reversible
Balanced swell-pedal to Chimes Sforzando
Balanced crescendo pedal
---

ORGAN 6/3 -- William H. Davis [Davis]

----------

William H. Davis

New York City (1875)
Mechanical action
The first known organ in this church was built in 1875 by William H. Davis of New York City. Specifications for this organ have not yet been located. ----------
db_id => 2997
ip_id => 2997
vp_id => 1443
data_source => ip
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
venue_subcategory_tmp => Congregational
date_modified => 2022-03-11 16:32:03
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 15038
)