Queens — St. Thomas Church

Categories: Religious and Houses of Worship

Post Meta Data for post with ID 15892

(Displaying NON-empty values only)

venue_name => St. Thomas Church
venue_filename => StThomasEpis.html
borough => queens
vp_title => St.Thomas Episcopal Church - Ravenswood, Long Island City (Queens), NY
venue_name_with_markup {html} =>
<h2 class="venue">St. Thomas Church</h2>
venue_info_vp {html} =>
St.Thomas Episcopal Church - Ravenswood, Long Island City (Queens), NY <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/Qns/img/StThomasEpis1869Ext.jpg" alt="St. Thomas Episcopal Church - Ravenswood, Long Island City (Queens), NY" width="250" border="0" > <strong>(Protestant Episcopal)</strong><br> Vernon Avenue (Blvd.) and 38th Avenue<br> Ravenswood, Long Island City (Queens), N.Y. 11101<br> <td width="250"><img src="/Organs/Qns/img/StThomasEpis1850Ext.jpg" alt="St. Thomas Episcopal Church - Ravenswood, Long Island City (Queens), NY" width="250" border="0" > <p>St. Thomas Protestant Episcopal Church was organized on Octboer 29, 1849. The first building, a small Gothic structure at the corner of Vernon Boulevard and 38th Avenue, burned in 1867. A new building was erected and opened in 1869. As the area became commercialized the congregation moved elsewhere and the church was closed in 1918. The second building burned in 1922. <br> Brooklyn Genealogy web site: was organized October 29th 1849, being set off by consent from the parish of St. George&rsquo;s, Astoria. The wardens were William Nelson and Samuel J. Beebe, and the vestrymen John H. Williams, George Brooks, Charles H. Seymour, Warren Kimball, Henry J. Brooks, Samuel Brown, Horatio Nelson and Edward H. Jacot. In 1850 Rev. E.R.T. Cook was called as rector. He resigned in the following November and Rev. J.M. Waite was called as rector in February 1851. In May 1853 the church edifice was enlarged. Mr. Waite resigned the rectorship in June 1856 and in October following Rev. S.W. Sayres was called. He resigned in June 1864, and Rev. John Cornell was rector from August 1864 to April 1867. In December 1867 the church building and all its contents were destroyed by fire. In July 1868 the corner stone of a new church, was laid by Rev. W.F. Morgan. Rev. W.W. Batteshall was rector from September 1867 to December 1868; Rev. Charles H. Vandyne from March 1869 to June 1870; Rev. S.B. Newby from November 1879 to January 1873; Dr. Osgood was temporarily in charge of the parish in 1873. Rev. William S. Adamson was rector from August 1874 to September 1879, and Rev. J.O. Drumm from November 1879 to July 1880. In April 1881 Bishop Horatio Southgate assumed temporary charge. At present (January 1882), St. Thomas&rsquo;s church is without a rector, services being conducted by temporary supply. The present vestry consists of wardens- Alfred Nelson and Andrew Findlay. Vestrymen- John G. Freeman, Orison B. Smith, Edwin Aspinall, Solomon B. Noble, D.S. Jones, A.C. Frey, Horace Barnes, Jay L. Smith. The number of communicants is about 25. In the Sunday- school there are 50 children and 10 teachers.
venue_sources {html} =>
<td class="sources"><h2 class="sources">Sources</h2> Greater Astoria Historical Society web site: <a href="http://astorialic.org/" target="_blank">astorialic.org/</a><br> Greater Astoria Historical Society with Thomas Jackson and Richard Melnick. <em>Images of America: Long Island City. </em>Charleston, SC: Acadia Publishing, 2004.<br> Greater Astoria Historical Society with Matt LaRose, Stephen Leone, and Richard Melnick. <em>Long Island City. </em>Charleston, SC: Acadia Publishing, 2007.<br> <em>History of Queens County, New York, with Illustrations, Portraits &amp; Sketches.</em> New York: W.W. Munsell &amp; Co., 1882.<br> Illustrations Greater Astoria Historical Society. Undated exterior.
venue_html_vp {html} =>
[WIP]
num_organs_vp => 6
organs_summary {html} =>
<h2 class="organs_summary">Organ Specifications:</h2> <em>Second building</em> (1869-closed 1918)<br> II/16 Austin Organ Company, Op. 592 (1915) II/ Levi U. Stuart (1868) <em>First building</em> (c.1850-burned 1867)<br> II/ Henry Erben (1859)
organs_html_vp {html} =>
II/16 Austin Organ Company, Op. 592 (1915)
II/ Levi U. Stuart (1868)
II/ Henry Erben (1859)

ORGAN 3/0

---------- II/ Henry Erben (1859)----------

ORGAN 4/1 -- Austin Organ Company [Austin]

----------

Austin Organ Company

Hartford, Conn. – Opus 592 (1915)
Electro-pneumatic action
2 manuals, 16 stops
Specifications for this organ have not yet been located. ----------

ORGAN 5/2 -- Levi U. Stuart [Stuart]

----------

Levi U. Stuart

New York City (1868)
Mechanical action
2 manuals
Specifications for this organ have not yet been located. ----------

ORGAN 6/3 -- Henry Erben [Erben]

----------

Henry Erben

New York City (1859)
Mechanical action
2 manuals
Specifications for this organ have not yet been located. ----------
db_id => 4424
vp_id => 1596
data_source => ***VP***
venue_category_tmp => Religious and Houses of Worship
date_modified => 2022-05-17 14:37:12
sdg_post_thumbnail parsed/extracted args:
Array
(
    [post_id] => 15892
)